Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Cables

SNick

The other day I was playing my LP and it sounded really muddy. I had it plugged into my VOX VT30 on a tweed setting. I played and played with the amp settings and the guitars tone and volume settings for a while. A few days passed and I was seriously considering a capacitor change to brighten things up. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had used a different cable to check out a repair I had done on the cable weeks before and never unplugged the repaired cable.

I plugged in my normal cable and brought my LP back from under the blanket of muddy water. At least now I have a cable with a lot of capacitance to use on any overly bright guitars I have just lying around. Wow, it was like a night and day difference. Man I hate getting old and fogetful in my old and forgetful age. Wait I already said that... Oh, Well........ Lesson learned.

If your pickups may sound dark or muddy it just might be your cable. Always try to have one really good cable to use to bring out the true sound of your guitar.

BTW - My LP still sounds great I am never going to change these pickups they are really good.:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Rapco Road-Hogs for about 20 years or more of gigging,jamming,practicing etc. with no problems whatsoever.They have endured being stepped on,danced on,tugged and pulled on and still held up as good as new.I have used much much more expensive cables that lasted no time but the mid priced Road-Hogs are strong enough to tow a stuck Hummer out of a bog-hole.I use both the speaker and instrument cables.

Archived