Gibson Brands Forums

What Gibson is Marc Ribot playing here?

jannusguy2

Tasty playing! Surprised he's not using an archtop for this, as he's getting a real archtop sound out of it. He must have major nails to do that.

Oh yes, the model. Not quite sure. It's an L-body, but with 12 frets to the neck a 19-fret board, fairly large burst, and pickguard. If it were not for the 12 frets, I would say "of course it's an L-00". "Fabulous Flat-tops" doesn't list a model with that combination of features, so I'm not sure.

It appears to be his vintage HG-00 that was pictured in the feature on him in Fretboard Journal. I don't remember which issue he was in though.

It appears to be his vintage HG-00 that was pictured in the feature on him in Fretboard Journal. I don't remember which issue he was in though.

That makes complete sense. I'd love to know the strings he is using, as it's almost like the tone you get with flat-wounds.

No more calls please. We have a winner. Good eye!

Unknown.jpg

PS- click on the "sign off" link to the side of the video for some fun holiday cheer.

Archived