Gibson Brands Forums

First post, Hi. I need help with what reissue to buy?

MikeThomasmusic

Hello Gibson forum. My name is Mike and this is my first post. Sorry I have not uploaded an avatar yet. I'm just looking for some advice if any one would care to help out with some suggestions? I have owned a few Gibsons in the past, and currently own a nice historic hummingbird from the mid 90's as my current only Gibson. Over the years I went through a bit of a rockabilly phase and ended up pretty much a Gretsch exclusive player for the past 10 years or so. I am on a small indie label and pretty much play alternative/indie rock, and should be playing a Gibson as it suites my style of music better. That and the fact that I will never be able to play any of my Gretsch guitars as good as Setzer. Lately I have had that g.a.s. for a nice les paul. So I've decided that I will be selling a 2004 Brian Setzer (pro line japan) signature model as well as moving a 2005 Gretsch power jet, duo jet, to help fund the purchase of a Les paul. Both guitars are in really nice shape and conservatively speaking just guessing off the top of my head, they may fetch on the used market somewhere around, $1,500 to $1,800 for the Setzer and possibly $11,00-$1,400 for the power jet. With some or most of the funds generated from the sales of those two guitars I need some advice on choosing a reissue historic Les Paul. I'm not too concerned about having an amazing super flamed top, in fact I kind of like the looks of some of the late 50's plain tops where with the thin lacquer you can kind of see the knottiness/swirls in the grain of the maple. Basically I would like an LP to just be as close to vintage specs with as much period correctness as can be. Which would be things like: Having a nitrocellulose finish, bumble bees in the electronics, possibly in straight line klusons (but not crucial), period correct tune-o-matic bridge, and no type of weight relief at all. Just an axe that will have most of or all its main features as close to vintage spec correctness. That being said I'm not to hip with the custom shops pricing and features. What would some of you say is my best bet as far as value goes and it being as close to actual vintage specs would be, used or new? Again I don't care about over hypes that make the price soar up more than on other models. Weather true or not sometimes rumors that extend from personal preferences and opinions can spread over the internet about a certain reissue year having that "mojo" over certain other years and then the next thing you know that particular model year becomes way overpriced. And again I'm not concerned about the top having a super amazing flame. I just want a great playing and sounding vintage spec reissue. What would you suggest I check into, r7's, r8's r9's? Some newer VOS models? Also due to gibson's over hyped/marketed sky high prices (which have been beaten to death as far as discussions go), I was also thinking of maybe getting a nice non custom, standard with a burst and then just spec-ing it out to be more vintage correct, by adding things like bumble bees and maybe some nicer boutique pickups like lollars or something,as long as that has a nitro finish as well? So, what should I expect to pay both on the used and new market for a decent reissue vintage spec-ed les paul? And also year and model suggestions would be great. I don't mind paying between maybe 2k and 3k pending what I would get for my Gretsch sales. Anything over 3K for a guitar that isn't actually a real vintage instrument seems insane to me. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. I think I would be looking at a new or used R8. Even a new one will be in your price range and you can find some great deals on new 2011 models in some stores. The prices posted on the web sites are determined by Gibson and you can usually make a better deal than the posted price. A 2012 R8 will most likely had a 2 piece fretboard and be just a little further from vintage spec than a 2011 or before model. Pretty much as a rule, the further you go back, the further from vintage specs you will be. (a 2011 will be more accurate the a 2010 or 2009, etc). At this time you may decide to wait for the 2013 models to come out but the price will be more than a 2012. The R8 can be a great value. The biggest thing that matters is how it plays when you have it in your hands. Getting a new USA Standard and modifying it may make it closer to vintage specs but you will never know how it will turn out and may just keep dumping money into different mods to it. With a Custom Shop R8 (or any historic R series) you will pretty much have what you are describing without changing parts. You can play it right away and decide if you want to buy it or not. At this point, go in person to a large dealer and play them then step back and think about what you want. Take a friend or have a store employee play a few for you so you can concentrate on the tone instead of trying to play. The answer is still in how well you like it when you play it.

Good luck in finding the right guitar. It is a journey that can be a lot of fun.

Check out Wildwood Guitars and The Music Zoo. Both of these stores are filled with honest and very knowledgeable people that actually know guitars and will be more than willing to help you out. Check out both of their websites i.e. Wildwoodguitars.com and TheMusicZoo.com jim at Tinker AFB Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

• 1 month later...

TL;DR

So I'll just say to get a used R7 or R8. If you can wait a while, I would consider getting a used 2013 model since Gibson has made some cool changes to make the guitars more historically accurate (correct dyes, no truss rod condom, inlays)

• 3 weeks later...

Gibson used a laminated fretboard on the Historic reissues..? Oh man..Id avoid that...but depends..

Try a lot of reissues and pick the one that feels best(necks are different thicknesses) and one that is the most acoustic unplugged.

It may cost $2500 or it may be $4000...the one is the one.

The 59' flamey top ones look nice but has no effect on the sound but a big effect on the price(not worth it) but necks maybe different...so a man's gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Id personally be aimming for a 58 reissue that looks nice..if I were young a new one with warranty..if not, as I am.. a well played in used one from 10 or so years old with some wear as it will be broken in and will less cost due to dents is how Id go.

I would then change pickups to Seth Lover PAF Seymour Duncan ones...the ones in my Gibson Historic 59' (1999) are gravelly compared to my other Historic 59' SL Duncans..which are smooth. But if you love the Gibson version PAF stay with them of course.

One thing more..if you like Gretscsh guitars...I HOPE you have some TV Jones pickups in some of em cause the ones he was putting out in 2004 period were the best new pickups on earth. Magic those suckers. Good Luck

(And don't trust Music Zoo)

What size neck do you like? The 58 was a much thicker neck than the 59 and and the 60 had a thinner one than the 59. I personnally have a hard time with very thick neck because i have short fingers and i'm much more confortable with a 59's neck. The 59 is always more expensive mainly because of the burst and it's iconic value. The 58 usually sits just over 3K. The R8 2011 VOS is the closest you will get to the real thing. In 2012, they used the laminated fretboard which is not an original spec so wether or not the guitar will lose value over it, I am not in a position to say but I know that i wouldn't buy one because of it but that's me. As for tone, You should if you can, try the guitar unplugged and listen to its tonality. After trying out a few(this applies to all guitars) you will start hearing the difference. The sound in the wood can travel up to 14 times faster than the sound in air so depending on the density of the wood and its characteristic, you will hear the nuances and it will be easier for you to make your choice. This link :

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/whats-our-secret/

tells you a bit more about wood response in general. I've seen a planck sliced in 2 and even though they were from the same piece of wood, both had a different sound when you knocked on them!!! Unreal!!!!

For most of us, owning one reissue will be enough and there won't be a need for another one so it also means that it will become your main axe! :) after finding the one you like then you plug her into a clean sound and listen to the lushious sound that you are looking for. You won't be disappointed! There is more care put in the reissue when it comes down to choosing the mahogany and maple top. Since they are not weight relieved and they have to follow spec.

This link will answer a lot of questions you might have about the reissues. It's a very informative.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

I recently bought a 2011 R9 VOS. I already have a Supreme, a standard faded, a classic custom, an explorer but i always wanted the real thing which for me was a 59! I got very lucky! I did 7 stores before i found 2 for sale. They had R0 and R8 but as soon as i saw the R9 VOS, I was sold!!!! Maybe too much flame but She is awesome!!!! You will not regret owning a reissue. They feel just right. I like the VOS better than the gloss finish one because, to me, it feels more like the real thing. It's just awesome. I hope that you find what you want!!!!! [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

Here's a pic:

post-53667-077290100 1361193515_thumb.jpg

Archived