Gibson Brands Forums

G310 / G400 comparison

Tomodaichi

G400 is a better guitar than a G310....there is nothing wrong with the 310, just not as well built as a 400 IMHO.

the closest sounding epiphone to a Gibson sg special would be a g400 ... especially if you replace the stock epiphone pickups with a set of Gibson 490r and 490t set.

The G-310 is a bolt-neck guitar made from questionable wood over the years, including laminates and other mystery woods. It has inferior parts, most notably, the tuners (although they are decent die-cast). The G-400 will most likey suit your needs for much longer than a G-310, and is made form better quality parts and materials. The price of these guitars is so close that it would be silly not to go for the G-400.

The 310 is pretty well a low budget "first" guitar while the G-400 is of considerably better build quality and materials.I have to somewhat disagree with one previous post where it was said that a pickup swap was necessary.While older models may have had pickups of inconsistant or lower quality,the more recent pickups are extremely good and are much better than those of most guitars in their price range and even of many that cost much more.I have a G-400 Custom (which is technically a Les Paul) with 3 pickups and gold hardware and it is one of the most versatile guitars available today-from any manufacturer. The G-400 Custom is capable of producing some of the richest creamy jazz sounds ever made by anything other than a hollow body jazz box yet it is quite capable of turning out some screaming out over-the-top rock leads.On my suggestion my daughter bought her boyfriend a G-400 Custom for Christmas and he loves it so much that he has put his 2002 Gibson SG in the closet,he says that it's the most amazing guitar that he has ever owned.He plays heavy metal(much to my chagrin)so obviously the guitar is suitable for that genre too.

Archived