Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Tal Farlow.

MrBebopguitar

• 2 weeks later...

When I ran a retail store in late 60s / early 70s I inherited one in the inventory of guitars that had been ordered by my retiring predecessor. He told me it had been ordered by someone who never picked it up and forfeited his deposit. It sat around for years, no one wanted it until one day a guy came in and asked if he could get it down. He sat there and played it for several hours. We cut a deal for $250 with the case. Just ahd to get it off the inventory. That would have been around 1970.

• 3 weeks later...

When I ran a retail store in late 60s / early 70s I inherited one in the inventory of guitars that had been ordered by my retiring predecessor. He told me it had been ordered by someone who never picked it up and forfeited his deposit. It sat around for years, no one wanted it until one day a guy came in and asked if he could get it down. He sat there and played it for several hours. We cut a deal for $250 with the case. Just ahd to get it off the inventory. That would have been around 1970.

That's the kind of story that I want to happen to me - but never does. I met a guy at a local music storfe who picked up a Byrdland at a yard sale for $200 in the 70's.

post-51699-098687700 1357427679_thumb.jpgHi dudes,

In my Blog I wrote a post on the Gibson Tal Farlow. There's pics, video and sound clips of this great Gibson archtop.

http://dutchbopper.blogspot.nl/2012/11/the-gibson-tal-farlow_15.html

Regards,

Dutchbopper

Hey DB, that's a real nice write up. I've always been enamored of the Gibson Signature models Barney Kessel, Tal Farlow, Byrdland, and the Trini Lopez, as well as the L series but finances and College expenses (mine and my kid later on) have kept me on a 175, 575, Howard Roberts Fusion, etc diet :-)

Many traditionalists do not like or (well IMO they actually seem to abhor) use the bridge pup... Question? do you use both of yours?

For myself I personally can't imagine sacrificing the tonal range of using both pups together.

Regards,

Gary

Archived