Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning Machine and Wraparound Bridge problems, Epi LP Jr.

Marvin Mealer

I've got a couple of tuning machines going bad and trouble with the bridge on my beater Epi LP Junior. I was looking at replacing the machines with some guitarfetish klusons and the bridge with one of the guitarfetish badass style wraparound bridges. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I've got a couple of tuning machines going bad and trouble with the bridge on my beater Epi LP Junior. I was looking at replacing the machines with some guitarfetish klusons and the bridge with one of the guitarfetish badass style wraparound bridges. Does anyone have any experience with these?

not w/the Klusons, but GFS locking tuners are GREAT !

i'm not familiar with the B/A bridge, but you might want to consider a Stewmac or Allparts adjustable wraparound, or even harp style bridge....a tad expensive for a Jr but likely a real stress & frustration saver.

.... but you might want to consider a Stewmac or Allparts adjustable wraparound, or even harp style bridge....a tad expensive for a Jr but likely a real stress & frustration saver.

Spot on and here is why:

(read the first paragraph...I did it on purpose)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76958-beater-guitar-part-4/

For $15 more, better you should get one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpieces/Wilkinson_Gotoh_Adjustable_Bridge_Tailpiece.html

After that they just go up in price. Point is, research the specs. (there are spec tabs on the Stewmac pages)

Tuners:

Now that's a bit different subject. Although I have not tried them myself, I have heard good reports about Guitarfetish tuners.

The tuner holes in your head stock are likely 8mm.

The Kluson style might fit without modification.

They would undoubtedly be better than the stock "economy" tuners,

If they need modification then this might help:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/76854-beater-guitar-part-2/

Have fun and let us know (with pics) how everything works out.

Best of luck,

Willy

I recently did a makeover of an Epi ES-345 (pickups, wiring, jacks, pots, nut, knobs etc) but thought the tuners looked OK and seemed to hold tuning. As time went on after the refit the thing started drifting out of tune in illogical ways (going either sharp or flat on hot days, from no change to quarter-tone shifts when using the Bigsby, or not using the Bigsby) so logic started to point at the tuners.

Bought a set of Kluson Tone Pros, and just looking at them the construction and the method of installation, even though fitted appearance to the originals was similar, told the story. The standard Wilkinson Deluxe tuners were absolutely shoddy compared to the Klusons, the fitment relied ultimately on the hole through the wood to locate the tuning post (only a press-fit collar between it and the wood), and the gearing was very jerky in comparison to the Klusons. The threaded collar which screws into the frame of the Kluson means that the post is located by the tuner body, there is no lateral pressure location to the wood of the headstock. The gearing is also jerk-free and buttery smooth, makes both finding pitch and keeping it easy.

Long story short - get the Klusons, you won't be sorry you did.

Archived