Gibson Brands Forums

P90 help! inside the pickup

I lost sound on the bridge pickup (due to me constantly changing covers) now both dont work. everything with the pots is fine they are brand new soldered.

My question is;

I have the p90 just bare orange wiring and black tape. i have a white cable and a black one coming out of a silver metallic casing. where do these cables go do they have to touch the copper and then i tape that down.

Will get pics up but pls help!

Yikes...shouldn't ever take off the tape unless you know the connection is lost and are prepared to rewind.

The wire is fragile, and this happens often. One end of the wind starts from deep inside, and the other is on the outside. If you broke the wire that's on the top, you may be able to find it by gently feeling the coil and unwinding. But CAREFUL, as you can break wire doing this. If the wire broke at the bottom of the coil, you are SOL. Even if you find it, RARELY can you unwind some of this without breaking it or some of the bottom coil.

Loosing a pup taking off the tape is that easy.

Yikes...shouldn't ever take off the tape unless you know the connection is lost and are prepared to rewind.

The wire is fragile, and this happens often. One end of the wind starts from deep inside, and the other is on the outside. If you broke the wire that's on the top, you may be able to find it by gently feeling the coil and unwinding. But CAREFUL, as you can break wire doing this. If the wire broke at the bottom of the coil, you are SOL. Even if you find it, RARELY can you unwind some of this without breaking it or some of the bottom coil.

Loosing a pup taking off the tape is that easy.

Thanks. So ordered 2 p90 pickups but how would i connect those. cant i keep the existing braided wire black one and white one. I dont understandt where the cables should touch.

Thanks. So ordered 2 p90 pickups but how would i connect those. cant i keep the existing braided wire black one and white one. I dont understandt where the cables should touch.

Not sure if I understand, but you disconnect the pup at the pots. The wire from the pup should never be disconnected.

When swapping pups, you should connect/disconnect and swap at the connection at the volume controls.

Not sure if I understand, but you disconnect the pup at the pots. The wire from the pup should never be disconnected.

When swapping pups, you should connect/disconnect and swap at the connection at the volume controls.

so when it arrives it has braided cable, do i just de-solder the neck and then bridge pup wires, and solder these neww ones on? couldnt be easier!

so when it arrives it has braided cable, do i just de-solder the neck and then bridge pup wires, and solder these neww ones on? couldnt be easier!

Right, that's pretty much it. the pups should have some schematics, and depending on where you got them, you could check on line.

Seymour Duncan's web site has quite a comprehensive set of schematics, but for this job, it should be pretty vanilla.

Archived