Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Humbuckers for a Riviera

bluscuba

What's the best type for a great clean and defined sound? I don't want overwound pickups, at least I don't think I do. It's a1993 USA Riviera. The original pickups were microphonic and I had them potted which worked well, but I want something a bit sweeter sounding. Would rewinding the original pickups make much difference. I assume they are Gibson Mini Humbuckers but I don't know.

The obvious ones are lollar, antiquities, gibsons - any others that anyone likes?

1993 USA Riviera?!?! Any chance you could post some pics. Don't see many of those rare models. Only 250 made!

i'll post some yes - its in natural which i believe is the rarest finish. Its got a really beefy neck and you can feel the overall quality of it, having said that the pickups are a little disappointing. The 1993 Sheratons from that series look amazing

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also consider a Lollar firebird pickup. The originals had a Fender-ish, defined attack and could get quite spanky - like the offspring of a Les Paul and a Telecaster. It'll be different in a Riviera but bright, low gain pickups can work really well in that kind of guitar. I'm considering making one for my dot, if I can get the parts.

I think they fit a mini-bucker rout but make sure to check that.

Jason Lollar will probably be happy to give you some advice or even wind something to order.

Archived