Gibson Brands Forums

Slim taper D profiles question

Gilby

Got a question for regarding neck profiles.

I played a gs400 pro and really like the chunky neck. It's apparently a slim taper D. Is this a standard profile to all the SG range?

I just can't bond with the idea of actually owning an Angus (cherry red) and keep thinking black guitars are for metal. (Pretty illogical I know).

There's not a lot of options local to me shop wise so I'might be taking the plunge with an online purchase. There's a few places still with stock of the 61 reissue and they tempt me but I found a gorgeous looking korina, a bit more than I wanted to spend (which is as little as possible, I can tinker with electrical stuff!).

So, can anyone offer an opinion on either of these regarding the neck profile ? Any thing else I should be aware of with the korina, it's an older model and I haven't found a decent review regarding neck dimensions.

(I don't neccesarily need an sg, I'm quite into lp jnr types, it's the chunky D neck that's important to me).

Many thanks in advance.

The D profile is relatively new and I don't know of any other Epi SG model that has it. They are usually slim 60s profile, which is noticeably less chunky.

The D profile I have on my 339 seems like a compromise between slim 60s and fat 50s.

From the few I've played that does seem to be the case.

I have also noticed that all Epiphone necks can be slightly different. (even within the same model)

I've played L.P.s that are all described as slim 60's profile yet the necks are different from each other.

Seems that the year and the factory it was made in can also be a factor.

Willy

The G-400's are more likely to have the chunky neck than the rest of the SG style Epiphone guitars, such as the Special and G-310. Even the '61 Special P90 has the thinner "C" profile. I'm not sure how much it varies between all of the G-400 range of guitars.

Thanks for the responses so far. It was a play on the 339 last year that turned me onto epiphones,at the time I was looking for a chunky necked tele but the Baja neck was a touch to much, the 50s reissue being about right (both out of my budget).

Was hoping for a trip out to try a few tomorrow but the weathers making that a serious no no.

Archived