Gibson Brands Forums

Dot selector switch

20_Gauge

I'd like to remove the black li'l ring @ the base of the switch on my Dot so that I can put on a "rhythm/treble ring on it. The thing has threads/grips on it, so it looks like it should screw off.

Is it possible to get this off? Has anyone done it?

Sure - just tie a string to it before removing the nut (the "thing" with the "thread/grips"), so that the switch doesn't drop into the body without a convenient way to pull it back up.

Ok, thanks for th tip Joe!

So the nut/"thing" does screw off?

I'm having a hard time unscrewing it.

Ok, thanks for th tip Joe!

So the nut/"thing" does screw off?

I'm having a hard time unscrewing it.

I would leave as it is unless your having some kind of problem. But if you're insistent on installing the Rhythm/Tremble ring you really need to make sure that the switch does not rotate or you may break the wires connected to it. I believe your switch is held in place by a threaded ring and to loosen it you'll have to use something like pliers. Big caution here or you'll scratch the guitars top. Before you start put down some low tack tape around the switch and then use the pliers to loosen the ring.

When your really to put it back on with the Rhythm/Tremble ring the tighten the ring with your fingers and then use the pliers to do the final tightening and you'll have to hold the back side of the switch with your left hand so it doesn't move.

Good luck.

I would leave as it is unless your having some kind of problem. But if you're insistent on installing the Rhythm/Tremble ring you really need to make sure that the switch does not rotate or you may break the wires connected to it. I believe your switch is held in place by a threaded ring and to loosen it you'll have to use something like pliers. Big caution here or you'll scratch the guitars top. Before you start put down some low tack tape around the switch and then use the pliers to loosen the ring.

When your really to put it back on with the Rhythm/Tremble ring the tighten the ring with your fingers and then use the pliers to do the final tightening and you'll have to hold the back side of the switch with your left hand so it doesn't move.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, RIX.

I tried loosening it earlier with some light twistin w/ some pliers, didn't really crank on it.Will definitely be covering the surface w/ a cloth if I try it anymore.

Don't wanna do anything to risk damaging any wires. Really this is just a looks thing for me & to help me remember the up & down/rhythm & treble when switching.

But if the risk of damaging it outweighs the the plus side, then I'll leave it.

I'm makin' over my LP & gonna put new knobs on my Dot & thought 'bout addin' the ring. I like how it looks on LP's.

They're easy to take off. Sometimes you can loosen them by hand, otherwise I cover it with a washcloth and use pliers to turn it.

Cool, thanks letting me know Bluemans.

Yeah I tried loosening it first w/ my fingers, it was a no-go. I already got a washcloth out to cover it when I try again tomorrow using some pliers to loosen it.

pliers? a washcloth covering the nut and then using pliers? How about doing it the right way and using a wrench that actually fits the nut. Then you won't be taking a chance of blemishing the guitar, switch or nut. USE THE PROPER TOOL

Few guys have the 'proper tool' for that, nor do they need to buy one for something that they may never need to do again. A washcloth and pliers work just fine and don't damage the nut or the finish. I've done it many times with no adverse effects.

TOOLS rarely use the proper tools.

Not worth damaging a nice guitar trying to half *** it off IMO

I totally agree, and a washcloth prevents damage to anything on the guitar. Washcloths are always widely used to pull up volume/tone knobs, and recommended by Epiphone for that.

pliers? a washcloth covering the nut and then using pliers? How about doing it the right way and using a wrench that actually fits the nut. Then you won't be taking a chance of blemishing the guitar, switch or nut. USE THE PROPER TOOL

it's a round "nut", David. If ya know of the "proper tool", please let me know.

Few guys have the 'proper tool' for that, nor do they need to buy one for something that they may never need to do again. A washcloth and pliers work just fine and don't damage the nut or the finish. I've done it many times with no adverse effects.

Thanks for lettin' me know that you've done this, Bluemans.

Haven't had time to work on my Dot(getting that nut off), been workin' on my EJ all afternoon adjusting the truss rod.

Headin' to Church in a bit, the Dot will be on my "to do list" tomorrow. I might give it a couple tries if I have time tonight though.

Hey dog, found this wrench(http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/allparts-toggle-switch-wrench)for $7. Rather not pay over $10 for somethin' I'll prob'ly only use once.

Thanks for showing me that they actually made a tool for what I wanna do. [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived