Gibson Brands Forums

Is this an ES-125 or an L-50 maybe?

Stoopalini

Another one of the guitars in the collection:

I think this is a 1946-1949 ES-125, or could it be an L-50? There's no Serial # or FON located anywhere on, or in, this guitar. I took a telescoping mirror and a flashlight and looked all throughout the cavity, and didn't see any markings. Based on the inlays and the raised diamond in the tailpiece, I think its dated '46-'49?

Any insight on it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

It looks like someone stuck their initials onto the headstock, not sure what MRA stands for?

IMG_0518.jpg

Very nice Stoopalini ! I am sure it is an ES-125 ....an early post-war era. The book says they came with the trapezoid MOP fret- markers at that time and then went to simple dots. The pickup most likely has the 'slug' pole magnets rather than screws?

The knobs (if original) should be the clear amber barrels with no numbers.

I think it would be closer to a '46.

The tuners look original and correct for that era.

Yours 'may' have a mahogany top also...!?!

How does it sound and play? Its very pretty!

Rod

Thanks Rod! The P90 pup has non-adjustable slugs, which was another indicator to me of the year.

The knobs are amber, but do have numbers on them ... these were probably replaced at some point. Also, the pickguard is missing.

I don't know how to tell the top wood type? Does a mahogany top version carry a different value than a non-mahogany version?

It sounds and plays beautifully! I only played it one time on stage, and it was for an acoustic version of the Bare Naked Ladies rendition of 'God Rest 'Ye Merry Gentlemen". when I knew I was going to play that song, I thought this guitar was perfect for it ... and it was! I do play it around the house from time to time, and it's really a nice piece.

Thanks again,

Thomas.

The logo being silkscreened in gold (rather than white) suggests that this one isn't among the earliest examples, and may date to 1947.

Would a 1947 have had the gold silkscreened script logo, rather than the gold block logo like this one? It certainly is no earlier than late 1947 or early 1948 with that logo, I would think.

thanks for the input guys. This is definitely a '47-'49 based on the logo design (dot of the i touching and logo at a slant), but if there's a way to narrow it down further than that, I haven't found it.

I posted a new thread with the Gibson logo info found in the Blue Book ... I thought it might be something good to have for search-ability on the forum.

Thomas.

Would a 1947 have had the gold silkscreened script logo, rather than the gold block logo like this one? It certainly is no earlier than late 1947 or early 1948 with that logo, I would think.

Good question. According to Duchossoir's book, "By 1947, the pre-war script on the headstock was replaced by a modern Gibson logo silkscreened in gold." So, it would seem that there may not have been a silkscreened script in gold as a transition logo on this model. But I couldn't say for certain at this point.

Good question. According to Duchossoir's book, "By 1947, the pre-war script on the headstock was replaced by a modern Gibson logo silkscreened in gold." So, it would seem that there may not have been a silkscreened script in gold as a transition logo on this model. But I couldn't say for certain at this point.

This logo transition point must have varied from model to model. I have a mid-1947 L-7 with the script logo (A-label and serial number --A-235-- pin it down to within a month), yet I have seen later 1947 L-7's with block logo. Both logos are inlaid, of course.

Most identifiable 1947 J-45's I have seen have gold screened script logos, but are screened block logo by 1948.

Archived