Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Rivoli Custom

Kazoo

Hello all

I recently came into possession of a unique Epiphone rivoli bass. I checked the serial online, and also checked it with Gibson, and it is indeed a 1967. However, it looks almost identical to the Gibson EB-2. Inside the body on the blue Epiphone tag, the model number has what appears to be "SP" written at the end, although with a different font than that of the original writing on the tag.

Could this actually be a one of one custom order? And if so, what sort of value does it hold? It plays phenomenally and after a brief check-up at Guitar Center, everything appears to be stock and in working order.

Much thanks

Front View

Headstock (front)

Inside Tag

Back View

I think what you have there is a Rivoli-II Bass (Model EBB6) based on the controls configuration.

The bluebook shows 3 Rivoli models:

RIVOLI

- symmetrical double cutaway semi-hollow body with a center block, two f-holes, mahogany set neck, 20-fret rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, black headstock overlay with Epiphone logo and oval stairstep inlays, two-per-side banjo-style tuners (1959 only) or two-per-side standard tuners (1960-1970), combination bridge/tailpiece, raised pickguard with "E" logo, single single coil pickup (1959 only) or a single rectangular humbucker pickup with pole pieces (1960-1970), two knobs (v, tone), pushbutton baritone switch (1960-1970), string mute (1960-1970), chrome hardware, available in Cherry Red (1966-1970), Natural, or Sunburst finish, 16 in. body width, 19 in. body width, 1.75 in. body depth, 30.5 in. scale, mfg. 1959-1970.

RIVOLI BASS (MODEL EBR1)

- contemporary reissue, available in Cherry, Ebony, Natural, or Vintage Cherry Sunburst, disc. 2000.

RIVOLI-II BASS (MODEL EBB6)

- Thin double cutaway body, set neck, rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, two-per-side tuners, one Sidewinder humbucker pickup and one mini humbucker pickup, two volume, two tone, toggle switch, black pickguard, available in Sunburst finish, disc. 2000.

The EBB6 one is the only one configured with 4 knobs.

You see, I thought something along those line initially. However, I emailed Gibson and asked them to check my serial number. They verified that it was indeed a 1967 Rivoli. The inside tag clearly reads Eb-232sp as well. It's definitely not a Rivoli II, unless the serial number is wrong.

That is strange. I tried looking up "893133" in the Guitar Project Serial Number Decoder, but it didn't find anything.

This Page does show "893133" to be an Epiphone serial # from 1967 though.

The label style also corresponds with a Gibson made Epiphone between 1958-1969, so I would have to agree, the label appears to be from a 1967 EB-232 .... but the guitar itself doesn't seem to match.

The pickguard on a 1967 Rivoli should also have the "E" logo on it ...

Epiphone label as used from 1935 to 1956; this one is 1956.

epilab1.jpg

Epiphone label as used on Gibson-made guitars from 1958 to 1969; this one is 1960

epilab2.jpg

Is there anything on the back of the headstock?

Gibson-made Serial Number, 1961 to 1969, all instruments (non "A" series).

Beginning in 1961, Epiphone serial numbers follow Gibson's serial number series. All models, stamped in back top of peghead. No "MADE IN USA" stamp below serial number!

If you can get a telescoping mirror and a flashlight, look at the back of one of the knobs and you'll find a number on it. You can plug that # into the POT Code Reader and see what come out. It'll just help confirm the date.

Is there anything on the back of the headstock?

If you can get a telescoping mirror and a flashlight, look at the back of one of the knobs and you'll find a number on it. You can plug that # into the POT Code Reader and see what come out. It'll just help confirm the date.

No, not the back of the neck... but the back of the headstock (at the top) has "893133" imprinted. No "made in the USA," either. I'm going to try and check the knobs though! Thanks for the tip :)

It looks nice! But I can,t help you with that....Not into basses.

Understandable, haha. But, thank you!

Going by the hardware, it looks to be a 1967 as you said. The shipping total list shows a EB-232 Shaded. It only shows 2 EB-232DC's which should be the same bass in cherry. If this were a Gibson, it would have ben called an EB-2D.

Rivioli_zpsd60af9ac.jpg

My EB-2DC is a 1968, the hardware is identical with the exception of the bridge. The EB-2C is a 1967, same bridge.

PairK.jpg

Wow, those are both gorgeous.

But, yeah, it's undoubtedly an Epiphone. Pretty sure it's just a vintage sunburst, too... that just was just custom ordered into a EB-2D look alike. So it would make sense that is isn't labeled as a "232DC" or "232n." Maybe?

Why not just buy a EB-2D...?

I know the people at Guitar center said everything was original on it... but I really need to get ahold of a telescoping mirror to check those POT numbers. That's the only way to truly give me some peace of mind.

I'm just so intrigued by the "SP" suffix.

Wow, those are both gorgeous.

But, yeah, it's undoubtedly an Epiphone. Pretty sure it's just a vintage sunburst, too... that just was just custom ordered into a EB-2D look alike. So it would make sense that is isn't labeled as a "232DC" or "232n." Maybe?

Why not just buy a EB-2D...?

I know the people at Guitar center said everything was original on it... but I really need to get ahold of a telescoping mirror to check those POT numbers. That's the only way to truly give me some peace of mind.

I'm just so intrigued by the "SP" suffix.

The Epiphones & Gibsons were made side by side in the Gibson Factory until about 1970. Many models were close to identical with a Gibson model. Epiphone production was then sent to Japan. It must be quite rare in the two pickup version! Gibson & Epiphone had some different issues with the sales regions that they were allowed to be sold in, much of it didn't make a lot of sense by todays standards.

The Epiphones & Gibsons were made side by side in the Gibson Factory until about 1970. Many models were close to identical with a Gibson model. Epiphone production was then sent to Japan. It must be quite rare in the two pickup version! Gibson & Epiphone had some different issues with the sales regions that they were allowed to be sold in, much of it didn't make a lot of sense by todays standards.

Apparently! I've only seen one other one on the Internet thus far... with different POTs though. I'm so grateful to have gotten it. I live in Kalamazoo, so my Aunt bought it from a old thrift shop or something for $250 when she saw the "Made in Kalamazoo." Haha, craziness.

Apparently! I've only seen one other one on the Internet thus far... with different POTs though. I'm so grateful to have gotten it. I live in Kalamazoo, so my Aunt bought it from a old thrift shop or something for $250 when she saw the "Made in Kalamazoo." Haha, craziness.

I had a contact in Kalamazoo, who's Mother worked at the Gibson Factory. He knew people who had spare parts and stuff from when the factory closed. He found me many hard to find parts. That was cool!

• 2 months later...

Archived