Gibson Brands Forums

1968 J-50?

StefanJ

Hello to you all! This is my first post here. I'm from Sweden and I've just bought this Gibson J-50 (my first Gibson). The store says it's from 1968 and that they bought it in Los Angeles last year.

The luthiers at the store will make a new saddle for it, with radius and, if necessary do a refret. It's a great sounding guitar. Dry and woody with lot's of midrange.

Is it really a 1968? I have seen slopeshoulder J-50's with large pickguards as well. Did they make both kinds that year? I am sorry about the bad photos. I will post better ones when I get it back from the luthier.

1-2_zps2929913c.jpg

3-1_zps263d604f.jpg

2-2_zps53829348.jpg

Hi there Stefan, and welcome to our whacky forum. We have a couple Swedes here so you can always bring up snus and herings if things get a bit boring.

But anyway, congrats on your Gibsons, it does look like a 68 or 69 but also possibly early 70's. The give away is the bridge, as its a 'belly down' bridge which Gibson introduced in 68' I believe. I have a 69' Hummingibird and it also has the belly down bridge.

Its good to know if its a late 60's or 70's J-50 as in the 70's Gibson introduced the double X bracing pattern which seemed to have a negative impact on the Gibson tone. But if your sounds great than its all good !

Feel free to contribute, Im sure you will find out a lot here about Gibsons, but warning you now, its a high chance you will have at least two more Gibsons in your collectoin by the end of the year if you stick around here too much. My first Gibson was the 69'er 4 years ago and look at me now ...

Thank's for the welcome! [smile]

The bridge is not the original one, as a matter of fact. It has been changed. I am sure it has the original shape though.

Bellydown, as you say.

I will bring out my real camera and take good, detailed pictures as soon as I get the guitar back from the shop.

Pickguards on 1968 and 1969 J-50s are all over the place - tortsie shell teardop and black teardrop as well as the big pointy one. It is The square shoulders start showing up in late 1968 and are a standard feature on the 1969 J-45/50. I want to say though the natural headstock tends to be something you find on on guitars made in 1969. I believe those made in 1968 still sported the black headstock. A pic of the tuners, if original, might help sort things out.

Thank you for all the information. I've been playing Martin for so many years and I don't know much at all about these Gibson. I am hooked on these now though! I really love their tone!

A few more questions about this old J-50.

1) Do they have solid back and sides?

2) If I will do a refret, what would the proper size of the fret wire.

3) Where were they made? Montana?

4) Any info on the bracing under the top? Scalloped?

Thank you for all the information. I've been playing Martin for so many years and I don't know much at all about these Gibson. I am hooked on these now though! I really love their tone!

3) Where were they made? Montana?

4) Any info on the bracing under the top? Scalloped?

4 - You have to find a mirror circa twice the size of a t.r.cover and a fitting flashlite.

De-string and sink both items down the box.

Now bend forward and study the interior of your square shouldered concert hall.

Might take some time as you'll have to change position of the tools a couple of times.

Enjoy - it beats a tv soap comedy like nothing.

3 - Think it was made in legendary Kalamazoo.

How cool you have turned on to the captivating and addictive G-sound. Can I pass a secret. . .

You're not alone.

C.U.

Archived