Gibson Brands Forums

cj-165 rosewood/sitka

juanypei

hey! i'm new! howdy!

does anyone else have or have played the cj-165 mini me jumbo?

i bought one for myself as a birthday present and have enjoyed every single minute with it.

i've wanted a small bodied rosewood for a while, for folk and fingerstyle and blues, and when i came across it, this was it. i shopped around for a long while, and tried out many, including martins, and frankly, i never got that jazzed by the ones i played.

for the sound and the playability, and the cosmetics at the going price, you'll be hard pressed to find a comparable version in the other brand.

and it's a vintage sunburst. which to me can only be done right by gibson.

just strung up with cleartone, and the tone...she's clear.

I played one last summer. It was amazing! It reminded me a bit of my Martin 00028-ec but I did not do a side by side. It struck me as mellow and clear, great rosewood tone.

If this was available when I bought my Martin, I beleive this may have one out.

Congrats on a great guitar. I agree with your assessment. Can you elaborate on the tone? How do the trebles sound?

welcome to the forum:)

I rescued a fine RW cj165 from GC on 12/31 and I really like it

I have a friend who plays customs like Baraniks, etc. and the CJ 165 is actually the only guitar of mine he has ever played and told me if I ever sell it to let him know....... =P~

He plays fingerstyle at local coffehouses, etc. and is a very fine player

my CJ is perfectly setup and plays like butta, and my friend liked the factory pickup too

I told my friend he could buy it when he is ready, but I am having severe second thoughts on that, because it is growing on me very quickly

At the coffehouse he played his Baranik, then switched off and played my CJ and I thought the 'lil Gibson held its own!

on a side note check out some of Chris Smither music, I think the CJ rosewood is perfect for playing that kind of stuff :)

Welcome to the Gibson forums.

I have a CJ165, but mine is the Maple version. I absolutely LOVE mine. It is just a great size and feels super in my hands and lap.

I wasn't able to find a Rosewood locally, but found a dealer with two maples on hand. I picked it up and knew....even after playing some much more expensive Martins ....that this was going to be my favorite guitar. Yes the Burst is just beautiful ....I find that I really like the looks of the flame maple under the burst. I would have liked to have compared the Rosewood against the Maple version side by side...but I can't say I care now since I am in love.

I play fingerstyle blues and upon trying to learn a song for a number of weeks which required an extra strong thumping bass....the instrument seemed to really open up a lot....so thump that low E !!

Congrats and enjoy !

I've got a rosewood 2007 and I've played it maybe two hours. I'm still trying to get my brain around it's persona. Burned deep into my (old) brain is the notion that small bodied Gibsons are inexpensive entry level instruments and full size or jumbo Gibsons are the standard. Now comes a small bodied Gibson that's radically fancier than an LG-1. Either someone sent an LG to "Pimp my Ride" or they left a J185 in the dryer too long, I can't figure out which... Reminds me of using an old VIC-20 computer 20+ years ago and constantly seeing the message "syntax error".

Archived