Gibson Brands Forums

Flash! Previously Unkown Gibson Flattop Hybrid

brians356

Gibson has done many odd repairs over the years. I've seen some on ebay. A 1940s J100 with a newer J200 pickguard and an oversized bridge for example. Odd stuff like that doesn't surprise me at all. Yes, it's a leap of faith but based on seeing other weirdness. I also saw a 1920s F mandolin with a 60s neck that was uhhhh.... "repaired" in K'zoo. There was a time when nothing was sacred and they paid no attention to making sure things were period correct. Wouldn't happen nowadays, we all know better.

I hear what you're saying, but the mixed components you cite as examples are a far cry from putting a Dove bridge and P/G on a 50s slope-shoulder CW. I'm not sure Gibson would agree to create a Frankenstien like that, but I could be giving them way too much credit! And it could just as likely have been done by any of the multitude of independent wood butchers out there.

There was a time when Gibson didn't really care what kind of Frankenstein it was creating, ergo some odd stuff out there. Sad, odd stuff.

I have no way of proving who might have done this and I was just making a guess, not claiming it to be true, and I certainly don't have any affadavits. If my time machine worked I would put it to more lucrative uses. I don't have a dog in this race.

Archived