Gibson Brands Forums

nintage 1994 epiphone lp birdseye maple

harlequingr

Welcome. The Serial number would back up the Made in Korea (the S = Samick, their Korean factory) but the numbers don't quite jive. In most cases, the first two numbers would be the year of manufacture. I suppose it could be a '96. There are a few others that are a lot more adept at deciphering these things. Anyway, stay tuned and if you get the guitar, post a few pictures.

You know that guitars made in the 1990's are not 'vintage.' Because Epi's use cheaper fret wire, which wears faster than frets on high-end guitars, I won't buy any Epi's that old; refretting is very expensive. If you're considering an older mid-price guitar like this, check the frets closely for wear before you break out your wallet. In the used market, there's a lot of great deals on newer Epi's, and they tend to have less baggage. The Epi's from that era usually had those cheap mini-pots, generic tuners, and some really mediocre pickups. A used $250 Epi LP with a new $200 refret job is still a $250 LP.

I've owned dozens of Epi's over the years and the current Chinese models are the best they've made (excluding the Japanese ones).

Archived