Gibson Brands Forums

fretboard conditioners

pushpull

Hi everyone,

i have just become the proud father of a Gibson Les Paul Standard 2012 (after a lifetime of wishing).

Can anyone be kind enough to tell me what conditioner to use on the fretboard.

I have been told that 'Dunlop lemon oil' is the usual product of choice - but is it just a cleaner (and will dry up the fingerboard?)

and is 'boiled linseed oil' (also recommended!)the right product to use?

I use good old mineral (baby) oil. Not to be overused, maybe twice a year - soaking the wood can cause fret loosening problems. With a soft cloth, apply a small amount to the fingerboard, so that it just coats the wood. Leave it on for a few minutes, then wipe dry with a clean, dry cotton cloth. Easy as that.

BTW, this is the "Forum Feedback" section

Thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...

I use Old English Furniture Polish For Dark woods. (NO LEMON ADDITIVES! anything with lemon could eat away the adhesive that holds your pretty pearl inlays.)

just snag some #0000 steel wool, and lightly polish the frets, then take something like a nylon bristle brush, or a tooth brush, paintbrush whatever, and clean off the fretboard. Than, dab some Old English on a clean rag and following the grain of the wood, wipe it on the fingerboard. I'll let the wood drink it for a few moments before i take another dry rag and pat it dry, I than restring, tune, and jam \m/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived