Gibson Brands Forums

Where is the 3-rd sound in my LP guitar?

Valeriy

I use the middle mostly. I tend to dime the control that I want to be dominant and dial back the other one to get a little flavor from the other one.

10 on the neck and about 8 on the bridge for smooth stuff with a little edge. 10 on the bridge and 7 or 8 on the neck for more edge.

I use one pickup to get a more "solid" sound. Neck only is more chunky. Bridge only is all edgy.

Valeriy...

I am not expert, but...

I believe that even different speakers on the same amplifier will bring different sound.

An electric guitar always will be only 1/2 of the "sound." The other 1/2 is the amplifier. Both are less of the sound for the player who has "stomp boxes."

m

Milod,

I agree with you almost everything except “always ”. It so is concerning electric guitar now, but it isn't normal. This is, in particular, reason why there arised EMG company etc. Though, its success is limited, of course. However the most important and first element in any sound chain is always a primary source. For example, a chain: a sound phonogram with magnetic head (or CD and CD-player) – Preamp – Amp - Speakers, or other chain in studio records: Tracking – mixing – mastering, etc.

Herewith, 80% of the successful end result usual depends of those first elements in any sound chain, i.e. these are the phonogram, tracking etc. And following parts of the chain are to a lesser extent influencing result. For example, if tracking is good mixing become easier, and mastering, maybe, even will not be required. Good phonogram will be sounding not bad on a so-so amp and speakers. This is an axiom and it works everywhere except the chain with an electric guitar.

But this is so because of the fact that the electric guitar has unresolved defects. It cannot be forever [thumbup] , I think. The guitar is the only primary source that stands out from the rules ](*,) . :-k Even a microphone, though it is very much weaker, is not a such capricious device in contrast to electric guitar.

Guest Farnsbarns

Milod,

I agree with you almost everything except “always ”. It so is concerning electric guitar now, but it isn't normal. This is, in particular, reason why there arised EMG company etc. Though, its success is limited, of course. However the most important and first element in any sound chain is always a primary source. For example, a chain: a sound phonogram with magnetic head (or CD and CD-player) – Preamp – Amp - Speakers, or other chain in studio records: Tracking – mixing – mastering, etc.

Herewith, 80% of the successful end result usual depends of those first elements in any sound chain, i.e. these are the phonogram, tracking etc. And following parts of the chain are to a lesser extent influencing result. For example, if tracking is good mixing become easier, and mastering, maybe, even will not be required. Good phonogram will be sounding not bad on a so-so amp and speakers. This is an axiom and it works everywhere except the chain with an electric guitar.

But this is so because of the fact that the electric guitar has unresolved defects. It cannot be forever [thumbup] , I think. The guitar is the only primary source that stands out from the rules ](*,) . :-k Even a microphone, though it is very much weaker, is not a such capricious device in contrast to electric guitar.

I disagree...

The hifi equipment and signal chain simillie doesn't hold up. In that instance one is maing the best recording of a sound one can make and then plaing it back in a signal chain starting at the player as a source and then moving through the chain to speakers, at which point the best possible outcome is the closest possible reproduction of what was recorded.

With an electric guitar the sound coming out of the speakers is all that matters, regardless of what processes of loss and corruption may happen before hand in the chain. After all a fuzz pedal is really a low fidelity amplifier, and guitar amps are designed to drive the tubes beyond their spec in order to distort the signal, something people spend a lot of money to avoid in the hifi similie you used. Even if you play clean with no effects, the sound coming out of the speakers doesn't need to be anywhere near the sound created by the guitar alone, nor is it, ever.

Put simply, it is very nearly always desirable, with an electric guitar, to add to, subtract from, or simply change the signal in the chain where as the goal with a hifi is the opposite.

Totally different things.

Valeriy...

I agree with Farns...

The guitar itself may or may not create "sound." But as an "electric guitar," it does create an electrical signal.

With magnetic or piezo pickups of any kind, a guitar could be played in space making no sound at all - and still send a signal for electronic processing into sound.

That's why I say an electric guitar is only 1/2 of a musical instrument. It does not create "sound" for an audience by itself, but only an electric impulse. The sound comes from some kind of electronics and a speaker that creates the sound waves in the air.

m

Okay, okay, guys, I do not argue with this specificity in electric guitar regarding intentional impurities for its electric signal. This signal indeed is initially somewhat poor and too dependent of other devices: preamps… even speakers. But now many companies making electric guitar or pickups are working to improve the original signal into an electric guitar or pickup. It makes sense to do so. Because improved (into guitar) signal will give then much more color, tone, solidity etc. with the same all a fuzz pedal, preamps, amps etc and it, guitar sound, already will depend less on those other devices. If EMG company could solve some problems of conventional passive pickups and did not reduce the number of windings and the force of magnets in its EMG pickups the traditional passive guitars lost heavily now. The Gibson obviously understands this and is also working on this problem to improve electric guitar sound initially inside the guitar.

And guys, is who understands patents here? Some questions I have. Here are some patents about guitars and pickups:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&hl=en&q=patent+search%2C+pickup+humbucker&btnG=

And besides the inventor there are a Primary Examiner, Original Assignee or Applicant in these patents. let's allow, I want to patent something. Is this necessary what I also need to find my examiner and other of the above?

Archived