Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson RD Guitar - Need help finding a case

Musical Shore

Hi,

I have a 1977 Gibson RD Artist guitar that needs a hardshell case. I've done some searching, but it's hard finding info on this guitar. What are some options for a case? I've heard people say that a Firebird case "should" do, but does anybody know for sure? For example, I came very close to buying an Epiphone Firebird case today, but apparently, the Epiphone Firebird doesn't have a banjo style headstock. An ideas?

Michael

Hi,

I have a 1977 Gibson RD Artist guitar that needs a hardshell case. I've done some searching, but it's hard finding info on this guitar. What are some options for a case? I've heard people say that a Firebird case "should" do, but does anybody know for sure? For example, I came very close to buying an Epiphone Firebird case today, but apparently, the Epiphone Firebird doesn't have a banjo style headstock. An ideas?

Michael

I have a 1977 RD Artist & a 2012 Firebird V 2010. The new Gibson case is form fitted to the firebird and the RD is bigger in just enough places to where it didn't lay in the case. I would think it would fit in an Epiphone case that's not form fit........... The 77 RD has an inch longer scale than a Firebird but the headstock is shorter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Firebird-Electric-Guitar-Case-NEW-Hard-Shell-/320701950047?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4aab53685f

no, the Epiphone case is no good, the firebird headstock is single row fender style.

The Firebird headstock is at an angle, much like the RD & other Gibson Headstocks. The three on a side headstock is shorter than the six on a side. The Gibson case is actually quite deep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-FireBird-Hard-Shell-Electric-Guitar-Case-For-Fire-Bird-I-II-III-IV-V-VII-/251232224721?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a7e9b85d1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a fellow RD Artist owner (mine's a 78 with a Kahler added by the previous owner, you might have seen this one!) I'd give some of the generic bass cases a try - they usually do the trick quite well. I've accommodated mine in a bass case I had knocking about. Gator bass cases are usually quite helpful when it comes to bigger shapes such as Firebird or RD, and they are quite sturdy. [thumbup] [thumbup] This is all, of course, as long as you're not too bothered about the case being something but a Gibson.

Archived