Gibson Brands Forums

Nickle wound strings

20_Gauge

Don't wanna start a brawl w/ this question, I did some lookin on the 'net about this & saw this could be a touchy subject for die-hard, but here it goes.

I've been lookin closely @ Acoustics I see bein' played in Country Music videos & all the strings look like the Nickel Wound type(like on my LP), not the Bronze that are on my Acoustic. I like the look(all the strings one color, silver/gray Nickel) & found some Nickel Wound Strings(http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-Nickel-Single-Guitar/dp/B0002GYX50/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1361738768&sr=1-4). Looked at the pack the Ernie Ball Super Slinkey 9's(I put on my LP) came in & it says "electric or acoustic strings".

So, could I put those same strings on my EJ or just leave the Bronze Strings on?

Advice please.

P.S. - This really ain't a big deal, I'm just big on looks. I'm shallow/superficial(whoa that's a big word for me lol) when it comes to my guitars.

Ok Joe, thanks for lettin' me know.

I've seen the "Acoustic" & "Electric" classifications & wanted to make sure I wouldn't be breaking any fundamental rules if I put those Ernie Ball(might go with 10's) strings on my EJ.

If you've got an EJ200CE then the nickel wound strings will work great with the nanomag at the neck and just fine with the piezo under the saddle.

Only thing you might notice is that they will quite possible sound a little bright, especially as the EJ has a bright top end anyway.

Other than that there is nothing stopping you using a mix of nickel, Bronze & PhBr if you wanted (they're all wound on steel cores anyway)

Thanks for the reply, wiggy.

Nah, I got a standard EJ-200 Artist.

I keep forgettin' that most(if not all) the Acoustics been played by Artists in Country videos are actually Acoustic/ELECTRIC'S, so they're prob'ly strung w/ Nickel Wound ELECTRIC Strings.

I like round core nickel strings and string everything I have with them unless the cupboard is bare (I have to order them as I have trouble finding these locally). The probably do give up the ghost quicker than others but to me th sound is worth having to swap out strings a bit more regularly than I would with others.

Thanks for the info from personal experience, zomby.

I'm really tempted now to add a pair of Ernie Ball Nickel Wound strings to my next Sweetwater order(which I'll be placin' next week to order a jackplate for my LP) & slap'em on my EJ.

What gauge should I go with, can I go w/ 9's like I have on my LP or stick w/ 10's(the strings currently on it are Phbr 10's)?

Thanks Joe, those are some great articles.

I just quickly ran through'em & already learned(from the 1st article) that the lighter the string, the more tendency for fret buzz/rattling. I currently have extra light strings on my stuff(9's on my LP & Dot, 10's on my EJ) & it seems like I'm constantly adjusting the action(mostly on my Electrics) to combat buzz/rattling. I like my action as low as possible on all my 6-strings.

After reading that article, I might try Mediums on my LP to see if they do better w/ lower action.

20, since you're admittedly into personalized aesthetics

http://stringsbyaurora.com/our-strings/our-colors

Now that's what I'm talkin' about Joe, thanks! [thumbup]

Those Clearcoat Silver are EXACTLY what I'm lookin' for to go on my EJ. At roughly $14, they're a li'l more than normal strings but the look is what I want. Now I just gotta decide if I wanna stick w/ 10's or go heavier.

Thanks again! [thumbup]

For what it's worth, I've had quite good luck on several Epi AEs with DR Zebra strings. They're kinda a hybrid. I wear the 9-42 which is lighter than most folks like on an acoustic, but I've had very good feedback from listeners I respect that they sound very good with the way I play as a light-touch fingepicker.

m

For what it's worth, I've had quite good luck on several Epi AEs with DR Zebra strings. They're kinda a hybrid. I wear the 9-42 which is lighter than most folks like on an acoustic, but I've had very good feedback from listeners I respect that they sound very good with the way I play as a light-touch fingepicker.

m

Thanks for weighin' in, milod.

As I've been lookin' around about this I've noticed mentions of Zebra strings & was curious about'em. The songs(old Hank Williams) I'm workin' on are mainly light-touch fingerpicking & I'd love to be able put 9's on my EJ & try'em. Where could I find these Zebra strings? Are they(the strings) all 1 color?

They're kinda a "zebra stripe" with steel and bronze alternating.

I've had quite good luck with them. Then again, I mostly wear 9-42 on the electrics too.

I'm not yet certain if I wanna keep using these or single-string purchased 9-42 Elixir Polywebs. Elixir doesn't make acoustic strings in 9-42, but a set can be made buying single strings. The price is similar enough and both brands have very good longevity for light fingerpicking. I may keep the Zebras on the small body AE and put the Elixirs on one of the bigger bodies. We'll see.

Anyway...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?N=700008&Ns=r&Ntk=ALL&Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&Nty=1&Ntt=dr%20zebra

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-zebra-acoustic-electric-lite-9-42

m

They're kinda a "zebra stripe" with steel and bronze alternating.

I've had quite good luck with them. Then again, I mostly wear 9-42 on the electrics too.

I'm not yet certain if I wanna keep using these or single-string purchased 9-42 Elixir Polywebs. Elixir doesn't make acoustic strings in 9-42, but a set can be made buying single strings. The price is similar enough and both brands have very good longevity for light fingerpicking. I may keep the Zebras on the small body AE and put the Elixirs on one of the bigger bodies. We'll see.

Anyway...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.jsp?N=700008&Ns=r&Ntk=ALL&Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&Nty=1&Ntt=dr%20zebra

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-zebra-acoustic-electric-lite-9-42

m

Okay cool. I might give'em a try. Thanks, m.

Yeah, once I started noticin' that I could buy single strings, I thought about goin' that route then decided I didn't want to get that technical :-k.I see they say there for Acoustic/Electrics, could they also be used on a standard Acoustic that has no electronics(like my EJ)?

Did some quick shoppin' around & found these:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ernie-ball-2160-extra-light-coated-slinky-acoustic-guitar-strings. They're the same gauge that's currently on my EJ. They're also availabe in Light(11's) but for now I'd rather stick w/ the lightest strings available.

They are the same price as the the Aurora strings(the link posted earlier by Joe) & I like that they're Ernie Ball's(a popular brand among well-known Artist). They are Titanium wound plain strings(I think), so I'm guessin' that would eliminate the bronze coloring(that's my goal, to have the strings all 1 color). Wouldn't ya think?

I'd say, really, whatever suits you tickles me plumb to death.

Strings are emphatically a personal thing on a very personal instrument. I'm told violinists, if not fiddlers, are every bit as picky as some of "us."

It's largely a matter of "feel" as well as perceived sound, depending on how we play. Even the nylon string player has oodles of choices and varieties of tension and - if you will - flexibility.

The Zebras work pretty well just acoustically, as do other 9-42s I've used on an AE. I Any lighter string played strictly acoustic likely will make the guitar have something more of a "boxy" sound IMHO. OTOH, they offer a classical guitar-like ability to use technique that's far more difficult for the light fingerpicker with heavier strings. In ways I think that likely played a role in such as Chet Atkins to use the Bigsby on his electrics as opposed to multiple string bends which I'm sure he could do, but didn't.

As I said, though, it's a matter of personal "feel" and desired tone, which is why there are so many brands and gauges and specialized sets.

Another factor, too, is the scale of one's guitar. That affects string tension, whether acoustic or electric, and therefore a bit of tone as well as the player's perception feeding back from his fingers.

It's a synergy...

m

I'd say, really, whatever suits you tickles me plumb to death.

Strings are emphatically a personal thing on a very personal instrument. I'm told violinists, if not fiddlers, are every bit as picky as some of "us."

It's largely a matter of "feel" as well as perceived sound, depending on how we play. Even the nylon string player has oodles of choices and varieties of tension and - if you will - flexibility.

The Zebras work pretty well just acoustically, as do other 9-42s I've used on an AE. I Any lighter string played strictly acoustic likely will make the guitar have something more of a "boxy" sound IMHO. OTOH, they offer a classical guitar-like ability to use technique that's far more difficult for the light fingerpicker with heavier strings. In ways I think that likely played a role in such as Chet Atkins to use the Bigsby on his electrics as opposed to multiple string bends which I'm sure he could do, but didn't.

As I said, though, it's a matter of personal "feel" and desired tone, which is why there are so many brands and gauges and specialized sets.

Another factor, too, is the scale of one's guitar. That affects string tension, whether acoustic or electric, and therefore a bit of tone as well as the player's perception feeding back from his fingers.

It's a synergy...

m

Great explination, milod.

Yeah I guess color of strings is just a personal preference of mine but, hey it's my 6-string right? B)

Alright here's a broad(prob'ly) question I'd like your take on, milod: Do I need to use only strings classified as "Acoustic Strings" or can I use the Ernie Ball Super Slinky's(9-42), classified as "Electric Strings", on my EJ Acoustic?

Love the $5 price tag on those strings.

Well... I'm not an expert on strings, just somebody who's messed with some different brands, types and gauges over the years.

That means my comments will be "anecdotal" rather than any sorta "scientific" in terms of comparisons.

Technically the bronze variations give an acoustic better tone than steel variations, including nickel.

Then again, you've gotta ask what's being played and how, what gauge, what guitar, what string height... sheesh. That's why it's so personal.

One guitar I really couldn't play was Mother Maybelle Carter's big old Gibson archtop with some of the heaviest strings I've ever seen outside a piano. She tended to use a capo and play it with very similar technique used on an autoharp, so the very heavy strings made sense and thumped pretty well. She used a thumbpick and fingerpicks as she did on the autoharp.

As for price tag on strings... Yeah, I understand, been there. But honestly, even in the olden days I figured the price of a Coke or two for strings I liked over strings I didn't care for was worth the money.

OTOH, those choices are something you have to make.

m

Well... I'm not an expert on strings, just somebody who's messed with some different brands, types and gauges over the years.

That means my comments will be "anecdotal" rather than any sorta "scientific" in terms of comparisons.

Technically the bronze variations give an acoustic better tone than steel variations, including nickel.

Then again, you've gotta ask what's being played and how, what gauge, what guitar, what string height... sheesh. That's why it's so personal.

One guitar I really couldn't play was Mother Maybelle Carter's big old Gibson archtop with some of the heaviest strings I've ever seen outside a piano. She tended to use a capo and play it with very similar technique used on an autoharp, so the very heavy strings made sense and thumped pretty well. She used a thumbpick and fingerpicks as she did on the autoharp.

As for price tag on strings... Yeah, I understand, been there. But honestly, even in the olden days I figured the price of a Coke or two for strings I liked over strings I didn't care for was worth the money.

OTOH, those choices are something you have to make.

m

Thanks, milod. I'll take "anecdotal" over "scientific" anyday.

That's kinda what I've been readin' on the net, Electric/steel strings don't give much tone on an Acoustic.

Yeah I agree, I'll gladly pay more $$ for a quality product over "cheap junk". If I can get a deal, it's just a bonus.

I hate makin big decisions [laugh]

The old adage holds true for guitars as in anything else. "You get what you pay for".

You put $3.79 Ernie Ball plains on a decent acoustic guitar and it's going to sound like crap.

There is a reason EPI puts 12-53 wound strings on their acoustics , it's because they sound best.

You drop to an 8 or 9 and your talking about a completely different relation to the neck of the guitar.

Other changes would have to be made. The sound would be so thin and very unpleasing.

But hey, it's your guitar.

The old adage holds true for guitars as in anything else. "You get what you pay for".

You put $3.79 Ernie Ball plains on a decent acoustic guitar and it's going to sound like crap.

There is a reason EPI puts 12-53 wound strings on their acoustics , it's because they sound best.

You drop to an 8 or 9 and your talking about a completely different relation to the neck of the guitar.

Other changes would have to be made. The sound would be so thin and very unpleasing.

But hey, it's your guitar.

That's true, diverden.

Yeah I've given this some more deep thought & don't plan to go lower than 10's on my Acoustic. I currently prefer the lightest strings 'cause I'm still in the beginning phase of my guitar journey. I might look to advance to 11's or (back to)12's once my fingers get adjusted/calloused.

Check out Elixir or some other coated Phosphor /Bronze strings.

Easy on the fingers , and last a long time, especially in high humidity areas like Florida.

Thanks, diver.

Yeah, I've had a few people mention Elixir strings to me.

Archived