Gibson Brands Forums

Dating Vintage ES335

Faxton

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a vintage Gibson ES335 in a walnut finish. I'm having some trouble when it comes to putting a specific date on it though. The serial number on the back of the headstock (896500) indicates that it was made in 1968, but the body is in walnut which was only made available beginning in 1969. Also the sticker inside the F hole is rectangular, not oval.

Can anyone help me figure out when this guitar was made?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased a vintage Gibson ES335 in a walnut finish. I'm having some trouble when it comes to putting a specific date on it though. The serial number on the back of the headstock (896500) indicates that it was made in 1968, but the body is in walnut which was only made available beginning in 1969. Also the sticker inside the F hole is rectangular, not oval.

Can anyone help me figure out when this guitar was made?

Thanks!

The rectangular label would pretty much guarantee a Norlin era guitar, late-1969/early-70 or after. Can you see the neck tenon extending into the pickup cavity when you remove the neck pickup? A guitar made in 1968 would have the longer tenon. By the end of '69, the tenon was changed and no longer can be seen in the cavity. Also, the shape of the headstock inlay changed around that time, changing from shorter to longer outer "leaves".

yes there is, right below the serial number on the headstock

OK, now you're up to 1970+. Post 1970 the 800000 serial numbers were used in '73, '74, and early '75.

The ONLY way you're going to date this instrument is by potentiometer codes.

If your neck has a "volute", it is a 70's model. The "volute" is an extra small addition to the back of your neck, in other words it isn't smooth to the headstock.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, I'm sure you find pics on the web. I have a mid-70's ES-345, and it has the "volute".

According to: Blue Book of Electric Guitars, Sixth Edition,,Gibson, Serialization; Edited by S.P. Fjestad

An ES-335 with S/N 896500 is a 1968 job (1968 895039-896999).

My ES-335 TDC was purchased by me in 1966: S/N: 805807 and has an oval sticker.

Gibson's serial numbering system is confusing to say the least.

According to: Blue Book of Electric Guitars, Sixth Edition,,Gibson, Serialization; Edited by S.P. Fjestad

An ES-335 with S/N 896500 is a 1968 job (1968 895039-896999).

My ES-335 TDC was purchased by me in 1966: S/N: 805807 and has an oval sticker.

Gibson's serial numbering system is confusing to say the least.

Gibson used some numbers in multiple years, and yes, that's always been a little confusing. But we've already established that this guitar dates somewhere in the 1973-1975 range. It's confusing, but it's not that confusing. Does the Blue Book not include some of the info that's been discussed here? If not, I wouldn't try to use it as a serious reference.

thanks for the help everyone! Although im slightly disappointed that it's not a 1968, im still pretty content with a '74 and I can't argue with the tone! Also the fact that I got it for 1800 is also a bonus!

Archived