Gibson Brands Forums

My Hot Rodded Epi

Jammin' Joe

I bought this Korean Epi a while back and decided to mod it. I threw in an Allparts Epiphone Les Paul wiring kit and did the 50's wiring to it with a pair of 496/500 pickups. I have to say it's my best sounding guitar. I even like it better than my Gibson Studio with the '57 that I put in it. This guitar really rocks. Eventually I plan on trying some other caps in it.But for now I'm really happy with it's tone.

And I think she looks pretty good.h6C0DPO.jpg[/img]

Nicely done, Joe. Pretty guitar with a very good flame top. Did you do the work yourself or have a tech do it? What kind of music are you playing?

Thanks. Yes I did the work myself, it was easier that I thought it would be. Kind of music I play?...Mostly noise. Seriously though I play stuff along the lines of Kiss, Priest, Thin Lizzy, Allman Bros., Hendrix, Trower, Zep, Sabbath. That type of raw 70's guitar rock. (yeah, I'm old)

As I can see on your picture...you did a strange way to put your strings on the git ! Around the STP... Why did you do it this way?

Duane Allman.

you did a strange way to put your strings on the git ! Around the STP... Why did you do it this way?

I do that to mine with chrome/nickel hardware (gold tarishes). It eliminates the sharp angle of the strings from the bridge to stopbar, which makes it slightly easier to bend strings, and reduces the forward pressure to prevent the bridge from gradually leaning forward. There's other guitarists that use the overwrap method.

A beauty!

I have a Chinese made Epi Dot that has a repaired neck crack..Bought it because the previous owner installed Gibson 490 Humbuckers in it...Made it into a whole other thing-it's a very rock & roll guitar now.

mark

Archived