Gibson Brands Forums

Almost HNGD

sg4me

So I know it's premature but I finally bit the bullet and have my first new Gibson on the way. A couple of years ago at the tender age of forty something I decided to try the guitar again and I started with an Epi LP because a close friend whose a musician always played an LP. When that wasn't quite what I was looking for I tried an Epi SG and switched to a tube amp and bingo, that was it. After a lot of A/B ing between the two I was certain the SG was what I wanted. The problem was the closest thing to what I liked was the 61 re-issue and it was hard to justify for a man of my talents or lack thereof. So several weeks ago I decided to see if anything had changed in the SG lineup and I found the 2013 standard and it was close to everything I always wanted to call Gibson and tell them they should make. I worried about the cost trying to justify it. I thought about how to prep the wife for it (my birthday's coming). And then I agonized over the choice between the cherry which is beautiful and traditional and the Ebony that I love (I already have two ebony guitars). I wound up ordering the ebony. It should be here Wednesday. I'm very excited. [smile]

Congratulation's on your purchase I was forty five when I started playing. I also prefer the sg over the heavy lp , but I play it when I am sitting sometimes and don't know if I could part with it. I cant justify having three gibbies since I will never be a great guitar player. but what the hell, I guess we all need our toys.

Great choice, sg4me! I (until recently) had been "SG-less," for over 30 years! (Long Story)

And, because I grew up with, and playing '60's SG's...I (personally) didn't care for the decided

lack of "beveling," and horn tapering, on the (prior/current) SG line. However, when the '61's

were reintroduced (again), I decided it was "Time!" I'm now the very proud owner, of these

beauties:

Top 2012 '61 SG Standard "Satin" finish. Bottom: 2013 SG "Original"

DSC_0779.jpg

So, I KNOW, you'll enjoy your new 2013 Standard, a LOT! [thumbup][biggrin]

And, remember...Photos, or it didn't happen!! [biggrin]

CB

Thanks. Sgplayers looks like you've got your sg's covered from black to white lol. And I don't think I could ever part with that beautiful LP burst.

Charlie brown those are some nice looking sg's also. I love that sg original. I can definately see me needing a cherry sg down the road somewhere. I have the pics from Sweetwater but I'll take some when I get it.

Lou

Thanks. Sgplayers looks like you've got your sg's covered from black to white lol. And I don't think I could ever part with that beautiful LP burst.

Charlie brown those are some nice looking sg's also. I love that sg original. I can definately see me needing a cherry sg down the road somewhere. I have the pics from Sweetwater but I'll take some when I get it.

Lou

Thanks, I LOVE 'EM...BOTH!

We'll be lookin' forward to those photo's or your's...when you can put it down, long enough, to take some! [biggrin]

CB

So my new sg came Weds. and I love it. :) It's everything I always wanted. I know I owe this thread some pics and I actually was dutiful in taking some I just haven't sat down and figured out how to post them. (I did print out the directions though so I am working on it).

The guitar is wonderful. I'm very pleased so far with every aspect of it. Appearance, weight, balance, feel, and most importantly back in black never sounded so good lol. Even trying to nitpick the only thing I could really find was that although it is nicely contoured and beveled, the back side of the lower horn is not. The back does have the taper forward towards the neck tenion though. I looked at a bunch of pictures of 2013 models and even 61 R.I. and it looks to me that this might be pretty common? Either way I'm good and Black Betty is a keeper.

On another note I didn't want to hijack the case smells thread but there isn't enough room in the stock case for anything more than a pick and maybe a string. My neck strap which is not an oversized one or anything won't fit even after removing it from the guitar. I'm going to need a seperate bag for my stuff.

That got me thinking I like the vintage rectangular cases better anyway. I could get rid of the smell and gain some storage at the same time. Until today everything I found was chinese or modern and I was hoping for quality American made and vintage styled. I found G&G and it sounds like they can make it.

Anybody else have any experience with G&G or other source for a better case?

Thanks,

Lou

Archived