Gibson Brands Forums

Unbalance pickup in the L-00

geeterpicker

When I bought my L-00 Pro, I only plugged it in for a short while just to hear the pickup. I knew it was not my favorite tone and that it was bass heavy, but the acoustic tone of the guitar and playability were what won me over. I figured I could always swap the pickup out. Today, I decided to plug it in again. The sound is OK, but man, the treble strings are at a far lower volume than the low E and A. Much more than I realized. Strings are brand new. Is this a common issue for Gibsons with these factory installed USTs? It's the baggs element, by the way.

This sounds like its the pickup and not the guitar.

As you have restrung the guitar, it is possible the saddle or the element isn't seated properly.

I would check for this. Make sure amp cable jacks are in good condition, and no loose wiring.

... the treble strings are at a far lower volume than the low E and A. Much more than I realized. Strings are brand new. ...

Most likely it's one of three things: the transducer shifted a bit bass-ward in the saddle slot and needs to be slid back; the bottom of the slot is not perfectly flat (much less likely than in days of yore, thanks to the use of CNC tools); the bottom of the saddle is either not absolutely flat or is not exactly perpendicular to the sides. (It's also possible that saddle is binding just a bit on the treble side of the slot, but that shouldn't happen with a Tusq saddle.) Have a look at the transducer placement and check the bottom of the saddle (by standing it on a known-to-be-flat surface, such as a sheet of glass, and making sure that there are no gaps, for starters). If that doesn't result in finding and fixing the problem, you'll need to see a repair person.

-- Bob R

Archived