Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Pro (Indonesia)

Magneezo

I saw this new Epiphone SG Pro at Sam Ash. I really like the guitar

it's a very pretty SG and the unusual thing is the beveled edges and how nicely they are carved

It looks different and very attractive. I'm going to get some pictures later to show you as I'm wanting this certain guitar.

I had seen some lower cost Epiphone SG Special's (Made In Indonesia) that had a deeper cut on the beveled edges

but this is the first G-400 Pro that I've seen like that. It's got me intrigued. I love it when I find one that's not exactly like every other.

Photo's to come.

Has anyone else come across any findings when buying an Epiphone that was from another factory that did something a bit unusual on the build?

Here is the SG Pro. Love the '62 look of this Guitar!!

post-26887-088543800 1362596117_thumb.jpg

The spacer between the neck and pickup is of a different cut

post-26887-031881500 1362596227_thumb.jpg

The beveling on the shoulder is awesomely Gibson like

post-26887-088184400 1362596241_thumb.jpg

And the 'horns' are cut deep and true.

post-26887-040719600 1362597012_thumb.jpg

-Sorry for the shaky pics. I was in a hurry.

Things I do know:

Pro-buckers

Push-Pull pots

Wilkinson Vintage style tuners

Are you sure? I thought the SG Pro's had Alnico Classic Pro's (which are equally good) and Grover Rotomatic tuners. I think Probuckers are reserved for LPc's, LPS's. Ultra's, and 339's.

Are you sure? I thought the SG Pro's had Alnico Classic Pro's (which are equally good) and Grover Rotomatic tuners. I think Probuckers are reserved for LPc's, LPS's. Ultra's, and 339's.

Alnico Classic Pro is right.

I had to go back and check

can't seem to find any info on it

but if it's in the same league as the ProBucker

maybe it can stay stock.

I would like to pull the cover off the bridge pickup and tweak it for maximum kill.

As far as the tuners go this one has the vintage look

Here is a shot of the headstock these are Wilkinson branded...the top two are crooked.lol

SG6.jpg

and the icon in the center is a bit off don'tcha think?

I'm going to push for a $50 discount due to the headstock

I think Alnico Classic Pros are every bit as good as Probuckers. I normally upgrade PU's in my Epi's, but not with those two PU's. They're as good as American-mades.

Yes, your guitar has Kluson style tuners; most Epi's of the 2000's have Grover rotomatics. I suspect that Epi may be using light-weight Klusons on SG's now to reduce the dreaded 'neck dive' tendency.

My theory on buying guitars is, always push for the lowest price you can. All they can do is say 'no.'

I think Alnico Classic Pros are every bit as good as Probuckers. I normally upgrade PU's in my Epi's, but not with those two PU's. They're as good as American-mades.

Yes, your guitar has Kluson style tuners; most Epi's of the 2000's have Grover rotomatics. I suspect that Epi may be using light-weight Klusons on SG's now to reduce the dreaded 'neck dive' tendency.

My theory on buying guitars is, always push for the lowest price you can. All they can do is say 'no.'

My 355 has alnico classics in it and have to say I'm very impressed with them. How much do they usually cos alnico classics?

I've had my eye on the G-400 Pro for a while now. I owned a Gibson SG in the 70s and traded it because it lacked sustain. It was one of the SG's referred to as a "thinline". It had curved bevel cuts front and back and a much thinner body than the standard SG that probably contributed to lower sustain. I bought a Fender USA Natural Ash Strat and loved it for years. It's still a great guitar, but I fell in love with the Les Paul tone in the mid 90s and now own a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi LP custom flametop, an Epi '56 reissue Goldtop, and now the G-400 Pro that came in this week.

My wife kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I couldn't think of anything. Musicians Friend sent me an email saying, "We haven't heard from you in a while. Hope it wasn't something we did or said. Here's a 20% off coupon for anything on our site over $49." The gears started turning and I ordered a G-400 Pro for $279 after the discount!

It's been a busy week and I've not played it enough to do anything but a little setup work for the action. I lowered it slightly and plugged it into my practice amp (Roland Cube 60) for a while. I think it's gonna rock on stage once I get a chance to play with pickup height. I was impressed with the craftsmanship. The finish is a nice clear cherry that shows the wood grain nicely. Intonation was dead on using my Seiko needle type tuner, and all the hardware looks great in polished nickel.

I've had my eye on the G-400 Pro for a while now. I owned a Gibson SG in the 70s and traded it because it lacked sustain. It was one of the SG's referred to as a "thinline". It had curved bevel cuts front and back and a much thinner body than the standard SG that probably contributed to lower sustain. I bought a Fender USA Natural Ash Strat and loved it for years. It's still a great guitar, but I fell in love with the Les Paul tone in the mid 90s and now own a Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi LP custom flametop, an Epi '56 reissue Goldtop, and now the G-400 Pro that came in this week.

My wife kept asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I couldn't think of anything. Musicians Friend sent me an email saying, "We haven't heard from you in a while. Hope it wasn't something we did or said. Here's a 20% off coupon for anything on our site over $49." The gears started turning and I ordered a G-400 Pro for $279 after the discount!

It's been a busy week and I've not played it enough to do anything but a little setup work for the action. I lowered it slightly and plugged it into my practice amp (Roland Cube 60) for a while. I think it's gonna rock on stage once I get a chance to play with pickup height. I was impressed with the craftsmanship. The finish is a nice clear cherry that shows the wood grain nicely. Intonation was dead on using my Seiko needle type tuner, and all the hardware looks great in polished nickel.

Sounds Incredibly Nice! Great Discount too!

Wow. Wish I could come up with some instant $$ saver

That's just sweet!!

Archived