Gibson Brands Forums

Found a flaw...inlays

spitball

Man, it has been bliss playing my new ES-345 - it really suits me to a tee. I just discovered one thing wrong with it. Some of the inlays do not sit flush with the fretboard, but are slightly raised up on some sides and corners. While it is not noticeable when I play (hence escaping notice until now) it isn't they way it should be, and keeps me wondering if they will start falling out like an old man's teeth. The fretboard feels smooth and the binding and frets are fine, so I kind of think the fretboard hasn't really shrank since the inlays were glued, but who knows? Maybe they were not all set in properly in the first place? Although I don't really like knowing they aren't perfectly flush, my main concern is losing any of them. Any luthiers or players want to offer suggestions?

Thanks,

-sb

As long as the inlays are not loose, and don't move when you press on them, it is probably a result of the natural shrinking and swelling of the fretboard, and would not constitute a real problem. If they are tight, but remain proud of the surface over time, you could always file them level to the board, although you have to be careful not to re-shape the board itself when doing this. The inlays are generally harder than the wood.

Thanks, folks, similar wisom has been gathered on both boards. I do believe it is a case of shrinking rosewood, and I intend to oil the board soon. It does look rather pale now that I think about it...

If it is shrinking rosewood, presumably from the dryness of winter, I'd leave the guitar in a room with a small humidifer, and try to get the humidity to about 45% and keep it there for a week. I don't know if oiling the board will cause it to return to normal. My concern is the oil could actually block the moisture in the air from getting back in the wood.

Just my $0.02. I keep my guitars in a room with a small humidifer in winter, and keep the range at 40% minimum. Hope it works out for you. Fortunately if there's anything wrong with the inlay work, it's not too big of a deal to have it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, folks, similar wisom has been gathered on both boards. I do believe it is a case of shrinking rosewood, and I intend to oil the board soon. It does look rather pale now that I think about it...

I had the same problem where the inlays felt like they were raised off the fretboard just a tad. After a number of years in a dry desert situation, the rosewood shrank and never did not revert back to its original dimension. I just used a flat file, then sanded with 1500 grit sandpaper, and lindseed oil to finish. [thumbup]

Archived