Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions: Neck Quality on 66 Worn Wilshire

Serf2ndClass

I'm considering buying a '66 Worn Wilshire and would like some objective opinion.

I'll probably customize it quite a bit, pickups, tuners, bridge if it needs it etc... And I'm not overly concerned about a few loose screws in the body.

The only part that absolutely must be of high quality for me is the neck. Straight, level, good frets, etc...

Anyone had any bad neck experiences with this guitar or similar Indonesians?

Is the neck made in Indonesia (out of interest) or just assembled there?

Thanks

Jon

I've had mine going on for three years and it's a great guitar for relatively little money. Ten minutes initial setup when I first got it and it's been as good as gold. Necks are a personal preference, and to own a Wilshire you'll have to like them wide and shallow. The fretwork on mine is at least as good as you'll find on other models at two or three times the price and I get an action of about 2mm bass, 1.5mm treble with no buzzing at all. Hardware all seems of decent quality (no "loose screws"). No problems with pots, switch or jack socket. Tuners hold as well as any other guitar I have after I widened the nut slots a teeny bit to stop a bit of binding. Whether you'd like the sound of the pickups or not depends on what you want to hear. It doesn't sound like an SG or a Les Paul.

If I had to be really picky I would say that the soldering could be better (although it's given no problems) and the three piece body wood could have been a little better matched, but that's only cosmetic. The thing I hate most is the position of the switch, but it's true to the original model.

All that said, I've seen a few since I bought mine that I would have walked away from and a couple that were (cosmetically at least) better. Bottom line, see and try before you buy.

Well thanks for your comprehensive responses guys.

I've nothing against Indonesia or any other manufacturing country. I own an Epi LP Trad Pro made in China and the workmanship and quality is excellent.

I worry a little about the Wilshire '66 worn because it's a good £120 cheaper than the LP Trad Pro, (yes I'm in the UK)and I wonder just how much quality you can put into a guitar for not much more than the materials are worth. I've read most of the reviews the web has to offer and many have mentioned loose screws etc..., not a hell of a lot said about the neck, which is why I asked specifically here. Seemed like the right place.

Agree with BigNeil about going and trying one, I will do so, except that I really want an 'aged cherry' one which seem hard to come by except online. So, even after I've tried a few, consistency will be important as I may have to actually buy online. Unless I stop being such a fanny and settle for whatever finish the one I try out that works has. Online sales can be returned for postage within 10 days, so that may be the way to go, it's about a £25 risk.

Thanks again guys.

I've no experience of Indonesian Epi electric guitars but the build quality of my Indonesian EJ200CE is impeccable,both internally and externally, and certainly on par with Gibson/Martin/Etc. (obviously material quality is not the same but that's not what we are looking at here).

Archived