Gibson Brands Forums

Grenadillo Fretboard - My experiences.

CERNUNNOS

Ok. Been playing with my 2012 Flying V for a few months at this stage, and I have to say that the Grenadillo fingerboard is nice enough to play on.

It is not as smooth to the touch as Rosewood or Ebony, but string action and bending does feel smooth enough. I think it has a twangier slightly mid-range enhancing effect on the tone though. The guitar is tighter on the bottom end than other mahogany guitars I have with Rosewood fretboards and the same scale-length and pickups.

The MOST annoying thing, however, is that the Fretboard is lighter in colour than rosewood. Even when it is well-oiled, it is quite orange. On a classic white Flying V, this is probably an ok look for playing Classic Rock or Country Rock, but I always LOVED the look of the Classic White V with Ebony Fretboard. Not to mention, I LOVE the smooth feel of Ebony fretboards to play on.

Anyone else have experience with playing on a Grenadillo Fretboard?

Also - I wonder if I stained it would it negatively effect the resale value?

Michael

1363819318[/url]' post='1348503']

Ok. Been playing with my 2012 Flying V for a few months at this stage, and I have to say that the Grenadillo fingerboard is nice enough to play on.

It is not as smooth to the touch as Rosewood or Ebony, but string action and bending does feel smooth enough. I think it has a twangier slightly mid-range enhancing effect on the tone though. The guitar is tighter on the bottom end than other mahogany guitars I have with Rosewood fretboards and the same scale-length and pickups.

The MOST annoying thing, however, is that the Fretboard is lighter in colour than rosewood. Even when it is well-oiled, it is quite orange. On a classic white Flying V, this is probably an ok look for playing Classic Rock or Country Rock, but I always LOVED the look of the Classic White V with Ebony Fretboard. Not to mention, I LOVE the smooth feel of Ebony fretboards to play on.

Anyone else have experience with playing on a Grenadillo Fretboard?

Also - I wonder if I stained it would it negatively effect the resale value?

Michael

All of my Gibbies have rosewood except my white 2012 V. I have old rosewood boards that are much rougher than the grenadillo one. Mine is fairly dark, but emotionally, I still know its not rosewood. The guitar is great and I probably wouldn't have noticed it wasn't rosewood if they hadn't told me. If you can't get used to the idea of grenadillo I would consider selling it and getting what you really want.

8524164443_09ff5fb98e.jpg

Cerunos:

As to tell you the truth, I think that happens more often than we think, I believe the color of

the fretboards is frequently manipulated, either by baking or colored varnishes, whatever process

is used, I think they usually go towards what will look best for an individual instrument.

Usually our rosewood are quite dark, but my SG Special with worn natural finish and rosewood fingerboard

has quite a few clearer veins, making it quite different looking, the dots enhance this quality,

but this is an entry level guitar, it is stripped out, worn off, I am sure in some senses this is

a much more raw instrument, but its meant to be. If it was to go into another SG or a Les Paul,

I'm sure they'll make it look properly.

Don't forget that guitars change color through time, if you don't like it totally, I would look

to trade it or get something else. On the other side, sometimes it takes us time to understand the

nature of things we're not used to.

• 5 months later...

All Interesting thoughts.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any more thoughts on Grenadillo since I first posted this. I am assuming there are more in circulation now.

Anyone else got any more thoughts on whether or not staining the fingerboard of a Gibson Flying V to Ebonize it is a good idea or not?

Just curious to know what people think. :-)

Hello!

Granadillo is a type of rosewood, a Central-American variant of the same specie. So, I don't get why should it be drastically different? I am quite confident that, - just as indian rosewood - it will darken with time on Your guitar.

Cheers... Bence

Well, I've got a 'dillo board on my LP Studio. Sonically there is very little to distinguish it from rosewood. Under the finger, it feels good too, again, negligible (if any) real difference to rosewood. The only tangible difference to me is the visual aspect. Mine is a very orange example, nothing a little dye won't cure though.

All in all, I've no qualms about playing or owning a granadillo equipped guitar. Would be nice if it came 'ebonised' from the factory though.

Archived