Gibson Brands Forums

The Ballad Of Orville Gibson

JuanCarlosVejar

Nah..baloney.

As beautifull & progressive Orville Gibsons instruments were, they are not the pinnacle of nor the final fully developed instrument it would become.

Stratovari/Cremona violins are the fully developed benchmark of type.

This guys comparision is way off.

yeah I agree Nick .

but I was referring more to the fact that they talk about were Orville worked and what he did before building instruments . It was cool to actually see photos . and learn about the the moon and star decal .

the guy talking about stradivari and cremona wasn't really credible in my opinion .

JC

Interesting, although it's not clear why you would consider Kalamazoo the Cremona of guitar manufacturing. Cremona was full of great violin builders, but you generally just think of Gibson when you think Kalamazoo. And it was hardly the only going manufacturing concern there in the early 20th century, I believe.

Orville clearly had some unique and wonderful ideas, and the Gibson name still survives as a manufacturer of fine guitars, although Orville's connection to the company bearing his name lasted but a few years. By contrast, the C.F. Martin family had been building guitars for 70 years or so by the time Orville built his first six-string instrument, I believe, so they probably deserve a wee bit of credit, expecially when it comes to flat-top guitars.

Orville had some remarkable ideas, and created quite a variety of instruments, but the great Gibson flat-tops we love have little have little in common with anything Orville ever conceived,

Nice clip – and rather awesome sounding guitar. Wonder what strings, , , silk'n'steels, , , ?

Admire that double tecnique and try to flirt a bit with it here.

Takes an effort.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Archived