Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Lucille and Gibson Lucille

Not-Too-Late

Doing a side by side comparison using the full screen feature of GC's website, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between the two other than the Epi logo on the pickguard, an extra white ring around the body of the Gibby. The headstock is where where I draw the line between the two as far as appearance is concerned. Just my personal opinion mind you, but I really don't like the headstock of the Gibson model. Overkill, or too gaudy for my liking. The Epi headstock design is more elegant, or classy looking. But, those are all minor details. The differences are probably immense when it comes to the materials used. Has anyone played both to compare them? I'm finding myself drawn to this model now that I'm learning a new style - jazz.

Cheers

Wayne

I've played both, and the differences I can detect mostly have to do with the pickups --- the Gibson pickups are more detailed and respond a bit differently. However, I own an Epiphone Lucille, and I can dial in tones that I'm completely satisfied with when I'm not making a direct comparison.

If I used my Lucille as a main guitar, I might consider putting in some better pickups, but since I only use it occasionally, I find it completely satisfactory as is.

I have played both models. I own the Epiphone model.

Now that being said, The Gibson model uses a multi-ply maple laminate body as well as a maple neck. So does the Epiphone only the grade of the wood on the Gibson is a higher quality than the Epiphone. A difference but not a totally drastic one. The Gibson has an ebony fret board and not a rosewood one like the Epi.

The hardware, string nut, wiring, tuners, switch, pots and jacks are of a better quality on the Gibson than the Epiphone as well as the pickups.

The finish on the Gibson is a nitro-cellulose one which requires a much more labor intensive application than the poly finish on the Epiphone and all of these factors above are what create the huge price difference.

The binding on the Gibson is very slightly better done than the Epiphone.... BUT... these differences although collectively can make a difference in tone, price , resale value and playability don't in my humble opinion make a huge 3000 dollar difference overall.

Now this would seem a bit hypocritical of me since I had my Lucille completely from the ground up rebuilt but I did that because I wanted "my" Lucille to be the best it can possibly be.

If one invests in a Epiphone Lucille and then pays to do all the upgrades I had done you still come out a good 2000 dollars ahead price wise. You should always be sure you want to make these investments because you really like the Epiphone model enough to do it but just stock, the Epiphone Lucille is a very nice guitar for under a thousand dollars.

Side by side with MY Lucille and a stock Gibson model I found little to no difference at least not 2000 dollars worth.

Of course resale value being aside from that since the Gibson should always be worth more down the road then the Epiphone BUT I plan on keeping my Lucille and resale value never came in to play in MY decisions.

The stock Epi pickups while not all that bad are a bit darker and muddier than the ones in the Gibson. I had Golden Age Parson's Street PAF pickups installed in mine. Alnico 5 at the neck and Alnico 2 at the bridge. Now these pickups are as sweet, articulate and responsive as any Gibson 57 Classic or 490R, 498T that I have ever played, owned or heard.

A pure stock comparison of both models will generally leave a lot of players thinking that the Gibson is a better overall guitar but is it really 3000 dollars better not considering resale value ? That would be purely subjective.

Archived