Gibson Brands Forums

1976 SG Standard... In TV Yellow?

Oliade677

I'm working out a potential trade for a Rickenbacker bass I own. One of the items being offered to me is a 1976 Gibson SG Standard in a TV yellow finish. I've yet to see the guitar, but the owner claims that the guitar appears to be original finish. Is this possible? Did Gibson do custom finishes on SG standards? I see that there are custom shop models that come in a TV yellow finish, but this is supposedly a 1976 guitar. I'm supposed to see the guitar Wednesday night. I'll try to get some pics.

Well, could have been "special ordered," possibly? BUT, I'd bet it's was

originally "Polaris White," and has just "yellowed" over the years, to what

might look like "TV Yellow." Just a guess, of course...but, seems quite

possible. When you get to see it, have him take off the pickguard, or

check out the inside of the control cavities, or pickup cavities. That

might help you discern what color it was, originally. White Nitro finished

guitars can yellow quite extensively, over the years. More so, if it was

played in smokey bars, venues, etc.

Pic's please, if you buy it! [biggrin]

CB

They had a Custom Shop also in 1976, but I guess CB is pretty close with his suggestion of discolouring through aging.

As for Rickenbacker, the Chris Squire signature bass of a bandmate of mine has been white thirty years ago but looks TV yellow now. [biggrin] Like CB pointed out, the covered areas are much closer to the original colour of this bass, too.

Small world. There is a 74 Sg on a local list up here. It looks yellow in the pics. Really Yellow. Heres a quote from the add. " The finish is a faded light yellow and may have been a light cream color at one point if the color under the pick guard is any indication."

Archived