Gibson Brands Forums

Help identify this Gibson

passthej45

Looks like an LG-0 with the pickguard taken off. The wooden bottom belly bridge says late 60s, although LG-0s went through a phase of having Spruce tops with creme binding in the late 60s and this appears to be Mahogany and tortoiseshell. Maybe early '68?

Looks like an LG-0 with the pickguard taken off. The wooden bottom belly bridge says late 60s, although LG-0s went through a phase of having Spruce tops with creme binding in the late 60s and this appears to be Mahogany and tortoiseshell. Maybe early '68?

Without looking up the serial number, '68 or '69 LG-O would similarly be my guess.

That looks like wide grain Red Adirondack Spruce to me and has been refinished

But the serial number and other characteristics say mid-late 1960's, and red spruce had not been used for many years before this. I'm guessing it's just a function of the photograph, as all the other details say LGO.

I agree the grain patterns are odd for Mahogany, but photos often don't provide the full picture when it comes to identifying wood species and it's not as though Gibson were making these from premium boards. The colour looks fine for mahogany, particularly if you compare to the back and sides.

As Nick says, there are numerous other details that mean we can conclusively identify this as an LG-0 from a specific time period when any supplies of Red Spruce were long gone from the Kalamzoo factory, and although they did make a Spruce topped version of the LG-0 within the time frame, the ones I've seen did not have tortoiseshell binding. I used to own one of these Spruce LG-0s, now owned by a friend so still see it every now and then, but it doesn't look like the OP's guitar.

Archived