Gibson Brands Forums

Inexpensive Mic For acoustic

Blues2

The sound hole on my FT 135 is only 3 7/16, so my old Dean Markley pick up wont work, as it's far to big. What I'd like to do is maybe add a mic, to run through my old amp for a different sound. Looking for a cheapish mic, that maybe some of you have used in the past, or present. TIA.

www.kksound.com/products/puremini.php

This work ? No preamp needed there are some really cheap peizo pickups spelled that wrong didn't I lol

I have one that cost like 10 bucks stick tape to the bridge or whatever it can get you by but nothing to perform with .

There even some real cheap no name sound hole mics that might be able trim to fit it in trim the Mic that is lol .

I've used cheap tape recorder mics lol just wrapped them up with some padding and stuffed it in . Believe it or not it sounded pretty good lmao .

If you really mean a mike 'stedda a pickup, the Shure SM57 works rather nicely and read the reviews. My version of it with an on-off switch is 50 years old and still works fine regardless of its vicissitudes through the years. The one without a switch at Sweetwater and probably elsewhere is $90 US.

Less expensive the Shure PG48-QTR looks half decent at $40 US.

As to various stuff available that tacks onto one's guitar nowadays... i think it's kinda like a lotta arguments folks love to have over this or that being the only thing to have - usually after having made the personal investment. Me, I've used lotza stuff and frankly I've never had anybody come up after a performance and tell me the guitar tone sounded crappy regardless what I was playing and how it was/wasn't amped.

m

Good news, I altered my DM pick up to work. Basically cut the bottom ears off of it, now it fits in the sound hole, and sounds not to bad. Tuned 1/2 step down, notes pretty much ring out to my liking. At first I didn't want to alter the PU, but then decided, I got my 40.00 worth over the last 20 some years..lol Thanks for all the advice, I can use that later on.

If you really mean a mike 'stedda a pickup, the Shure SM57 works rather nicely and read the reviews. My version of it with an on-off switch is 50 years old and still works fine regardless of its vicissitudes through the years. The one without a switch at Sweetwater and probably elsewhere is $90 US.

As to various stuff available that tacks onto one's guitar nowadays... i think it's kinda like a lotta arguments folks love to have over this or that being the only thing to have - usually after having made the personal investment. Me, I've used lotza stuff and frankly I've never had anybody come up after a performance and tell me the guitar tone sounded crappy regardless what I was playing and how it was/wasn't amped.

And that's why I always read your comments..thanks.

I looked at that. It says it's specially designed for vocals. The Shure PG57 is designed for instruments (and costs $15-20 more). I don't do vocals (yet, anyway). Apparently there's a difference. I wonder how significant that difference is?

Also, the PG48 typically comes with an XLR-to-1/4" cable, which I would prefer, since (I assume) it could be plugged straight into an amp OR into a USB audio interface on its way into a computer. The PG57 apparently only comes with an XLR-to-XLR cable, which would be limited to connecting to the audio interface, at least with my setup. Looks like MF has a converter for 7 bucks. That would solve the problem, but I just wish the PG57 was available with an XLR-to-1/4" cable in the first place!

Archived