Gibson Brands Forums

Country Joe & the Fish -- Vietnam song

4Hayden

Another "funny" thing. Tom Lehrer was writing all sorts of really sardonic "protest" and "leftward" material but quit about the time of the "counterculture" and the sort of piece above by Country Joe...

Basically he wasn't counterculture - just a super-bright math guy who got a kick out of sardonic sorts of what today would be considered somewhat "left-wing" perspectives. For a lot of folks in his age group... that didn't mean "don't protest," just that there are ways to do so in clothing that isn't worn out and doesn't smell bad. So... in the '60s I usually wore jeans when not at work, but... neither torn nor smelly. <grin>

Although frankly, I can't say that today's labels fit what Lehrer was doing in those days in terms of politics, but...

But... IMHO his material and sardonic style infected a lot of later "protest" material as he said himself, not as ebola rapidly, but more like a slower-spreading herpes. <grin> I'd say the Country Joe piece is kinda an example of sarcasm and irony as opposed to the more blunt pieces of various sorts.

The tune????? Also below... Kid Ory's family went after Country Joe for stealing "Muskrat Ramble." It's awfully easy in the vocal version below why. The family lost the lawsuit apparently due to waiting too long. So much for copyrights at times.

m

Another "funny" thing. Tom Lehrer was writing all sorts of really sardonic "protest" and "leftward" material but quit about the time of the "counterculture" and the sort of piece above by Country Joe...

Basically he wasn't counterculture - just a super-bright math guy who got a kick out of sardonic sorts of what today would be considered somewhat "left-wing" perspectives. For a lot of folks in his age group... that didn't mean "don't protest," just that there are ways to do so in clothing that isn't worn out and doesn't smell bad. So... in the '60s I usually wore jeans when not at work, but... neither torn nor smelly. <grin>

Although frankly, I can't say that today's labels fit what Lehrer was doing in those days in terms of politics, but...

But... IMHO his material and sardonic style infected a lot of later "protest" material as he said himself, not as ebola rapidly, but more like a slower-spreading herpes. <grin> I'd say the Country Joe piece is kinda an example of sarcasm and irony as opposed to the more blunt pieces of various sorts.

The tune????? Also below... Kid Ory's family went after Country Joe for stealing "Muskrat Ramble." It's awfully easy in the vocal version below why. The family lost the lawsuit apparently due to waiting too long. So much for copyrights at times.

m

Ole Country Joe & the Fish done stole Muskrat Ramble , That ain't right milod .

Well...

He got out of the lawsuit, anyway - although it doesn't take much to hear "Muskrat Ramble" in his piece.

<sigh> yeah, getting old may give you such ability to hear stuff like that, but... doggone...

m

Archived