Gibson Brands Forums

Been practicing my singing - did a new recording - Any better?

Lars68

I got som great advice here not so long ago how to impove my singing. I have been working on it and re-recorded the one and only song I have written so far. Any improvements?

Here is the song from my original post a few weeks back.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/all-i-ever-wanted

Here is the new attempt

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/all-i-ever-wanted-2

This second recording does not sound as good, but I wasn't concerned about that too much. I'm also playing a different guitar. First recording was a Martin OM. This time I used my little Kalamazoo KG 3/4 Sport. My goal was to have some kind of dark, late night, lullaby feeling. Don't think I managed that very well, though...

Lars

In the first section, the notes sound better supported; in the second section (all I ever wanted), sounds thin, like you are reaching and not getting all of it. Cant tell if it's because you need more breath support, if your are unsure of the note or if its out of your vocal range. Have you tried other keys? Capo etc? Do you have a song you know well and have played a long time to work with? Hope that helps.

Lars Pretty darn good.

It gets pitchy on the "All I ever wanted is right here with me". I think if you capod this up a whole step you would find it easier.

One other thing I have found, as my voice is pretty pitchy... (It's getting better, but I have had to work at it a lot)... I tend to get more pitchy when I sing with less volume; it's harder for me to control. The hard part is that singing louder requires confidence, which folks like us dont have when we are starting out. But therein lies the key. I think. Learn to sing louder and control it first, and then holding pitch with less volume becomes eventually easier. Does this make any sense?

Anyways, I would be proud of your work. It's good. I'll listen as long as you keep posting.

I love and admire original stuff, and think this is in the stage needing some fine tuning. I am no pro, so please don't give my opinions total weight here, just trying to give you my view. I think your song could benefit from some syllable trimming. For instance there is a phrase where you sing "movie credits roll" see if it works by singing just 'credits rol" or "the credits roll" don't be afraid of relying on the listener to interpret a little bit, and think. Your pitch is still a bit flat. Sing louder - that sometimes helps me, Or, record the with headphones on if you can, and really 'eat" that microphone if your volume comfort level is to sing softly.

All that being said - I am still impressed as all get out with folks that have figured out this recording thing. I am an intellectual putz when it comes to this technology stuff.

Do I recall correctly that there are some "pedals" out there (TC Helicon???) that have the capability to actually assist with pitch control, and bring vocals into line with the instrument input? I dunno. Again, my technology grasp is exceeded only by my sloppy playing style, and recording incompetence. http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicetone-c1/

It gets pitchy on the "All I ever wanted is right here with me".

Thanks for the kind words. As a matter of fact, I could hear that the part of the song you mention is a little out of tune. That is actually more important to me than my current ability to get it right. If I can hear it, I'll eventually be able to do it.

I love and admire original stuff, and think this is in the stage needing some fine tuning. I am no pro, so please don't give my opinions total weight here, just trying to give you my view. I think your song could benefit from some syllable trimming. For instance there is a phrase where you sing "movie credits roll" see if it works by singing just 'credits rol" or "the credits roll" don't be afraid of relying on the listener to interpret a little bit, and think. Your pitch is still a bit flat. Sing louder - that sometimes helps me, Or, record the with headphones on if you can, and really 'eat" that microphone if your volume comfort level is to sing softly.

All that being said - I am still impressed as all get out with folks that have figured out this recording thing. I am an intellectual putz when it comes to this technology stuff.

Do I recall correctly that there are some "pedals" out there (TC Helicon???) that have the capability to actually assist with pitch control, and bring vocals into line with the instrument input? I dunno. Again, my technology grasp is exceeded only by my sloppy playing style, and recording incompetence. http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicetone-c1/

I believe you are right about leaving some words out. I'm currently working on a second song and will keep this in mind. On this particular song I wanted a soft, low, almost whispering feeling. Next time I'll try singing louder for sure. By the way, the song was recorded with an iMic connected to my ipad. I just put the mic on the table in front of me and hit record. I had a sound card and more expensive mic that I used to hook up to my computer, but it was so much more inconvinient, so I sold them both.

I guess I could do better with the singing if I recorded the guitar part first, and then patched pieces of the best vocals together to a complete song. However, that is not what I want. I want it to be a performance, for better for worse...

Lars

Lars... I am actually selling a TC Helicon pedal I got for the holidays as a gift.

https://reverb.com/item/468183-tc-helicon-mic-mechanic-2014-red

I dont think it works with my iPad setup for recording, and I dont play out that much, so I dont see me using it. If you research it, and it is something you want, make me a friends and family offer and I'll sell it cheap. If you got no dough, and you still want it, just pay the shipping and I'll give it to you for free.

Lars... I am actually selling a TC Helicon pedal I got for the holidays as a gift.

https://reverb.com/item/468183-tc-helicon-mic-mechanic-2014-red

I dont think it works with my iPad setup for recording, and I dont play out that much, so I dont see me using it. If you research it, and it is something you want, make me a friends and family offer and I'll sell it cheap. If you got no dough, and you still want it, just pay the shipping and I'll give it to you for free.

That's is an incredibly kind offer! I just sold off my normal mic and soundcard in favor of the simple ipad setup. So I no longer have anything to hook up to the pedal, but again, thanks for the great offer!

Lars

I have found [that] I tend to get more pitchy when I sing with less volume; it's harder for me to control. The hard part is that singing louder requires confidence, which folks like us dont have when we are starting out."
Good point, Sal. There is a place for soft passages, but a lot of the time, it's a case of singers 'hedging their bets.' It's tough, because not only are you trying to do a physical thing (hit a note), you are also exposing yourself (by making emtional sounds). Add in singing your own s* and the difficulties can get out of hand. Anyway, the point is to sing with confidence, as much as you can muster. And good breath support.

Archived