Gibson Brands Forums

les paul trad pro 11

sthowell

Purchased a Les Paul trad pro 11 the nut is poorly cut on the E A D strings slots are too wide and extremely shallow The nut slots have noticeable ridges on top and fretboard facing side The bass side shoulder of the nut is rounded, the treble side is square and has what appears to be some kind of repair or overspray that is not attached to the nut in an attempt to bring the nut flush with the neck binding either way it's still not flush and is chipped The action measured at the 15th fret(capo-ed at the 1st fret) is 7/64ths bass side and 5/64ths treble side The action measured at the 7th fret(capo-ed at 1st and fretted at 22nd fret) is greater than .019 and less than .020 The fret ends are sharp and the frets themselves are not exactly smooth. The intonation is off but until these issues are resolved it's a non issue I've sent Gibson an email stating what I posted here with no response from them I received this instrument on 2-18-15 Anyone have any thoughts as to getting a response from Gibson or should I just send it back to MF At this price point I am reluctant to send it back as I believe the next LP Trad pro 11 will have similar issues and I'd rather have Gibson fix this under warranty.

Thanks to all who reply

sthowell

...what appears to be some kind of repair or overspray that is not attached to the nut in an attempt to bring the nut flush with the neck binding either way it's still not flush and is chipped ...

sthowell

Hello!

I believe, that it's a lucky case if a new guitar of any brand doesn't needs a proper and personalized setup. I always take that into account.

But the thing quoted above is disturbing! Do You happen to have any pics?

Cheers... Bence

Sounds to me that that guitar had issues and was repaired poorly before you recieved it. Hope you called MF by now and are in process of having them exchange it for you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with having it repaired. I purchased my new 2013 Trad Pro II last month and there are still many of these out there in some colors. Of the dozen or so I looked at and played locally, build quality was very good on them. The only poor workmanship I saw was some overly agressive filing around the neck joint on about 3 of them. Nothing like what your guitar sounds to suffer from.

Good luck to you!

I'm with BMagnum on this, send it back. If you purchased it "blemished/used" there should be a way to do it still. Say it is unplayable and did not fit the description. Another option (don't know if a store is nearby) would be to take it to a Guitar Center. They do tune up's and repairs and could give you a quote. Then again it depends on the tech there too. The overspray and notches makes me wary about unseen damages and even the electronics in it.

BY THE BY

Are you in then camp of leaving the strap on the guitar when in the case or off?

hey good luck and hope all works out for you.

Hello!

I believe, that it's a lucky case if a new guitar of any brand doesn't needs a proper and personalized setup. I always take that into account.

But the thing quoted above is disturbing! Do You happen to have any pics?

Cheers... Bence

Hi, I see you are an advanced member and wanted to ask a question. Sorry to bother you. I have been having a disagreement with a couple others and wanted to know if you believe in leaving the strap on when the guitar is in the case or off? It's because of strap locks and how the screws loosen when the strap is taken off a few times.

thanks for any input

j

I remove my strap every time i put my guitar back in the case after practice or a gig which is several times a week. I've had my LP since early 2006 and the strap locks have not come loose at all. I used dunlops. Unless you did a poor job installing them it should be fine.

depending on your strap locks, you gotta be diligent and inspect them now and then.

The Shaller nut/washer where it bolts the lock to the strap can and will get loose on you, and also you need to make sure the button of the U shape on the strap lock is always pointing at the floor.

Hi, I see you are an advanced member and wanted to ask a question. Sorry to bother you. I have been having a disagreement with a couple others and wanted to know if you believe in leaving the strap on when the guitar is in the case or off? It's because of strap locks and how the screws loosen when the strap is taken off a few times.

thanks for any input

j

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Excuse me for my late answer...

I'd never leave the strap on any longer after I stopped playing. The fact is: the leather, - just like rubber of guitar stands - can eat away the nitro-cellulose finish!

I use Dunlop Strap-Locks. On the strap side they have three ball-bearings that are locked into the grooves of the button (on the guitar) by springs when engaged. I haven't experienced any wear so far. They lock tightly, - I'd even say - they are hard to unlock! It's three years old now... But as friend Kidblast said inspect them once in a while, that's a general rule for everything: Your guitar, car, etc...

(By the way, the title "Advanced Member" means only one thing: You have already made 50(?) comments... :D. But You can set the title anything You want it to be.)

Cheers... Bence

Archived