Gibson Brands Forums

How to properly clean my guitar?

AMChezGibson

Hello.

Everything is mostly in the question.

I keep my guitar (Lp Studio 2015, here's the model ) in the case.

"The guy at the store" told me just to use a damp clothe (I hope i translated right)...

There's also the guitar care kit of Gibson, but it seems a bit expensive, and I'm not sure to use it right.

Looking for information, I've found this on a Gibson forum:

"Ramon:

it is nitrocellulose, all 2015 models have the high gloss finish. just don't splash anything on it and if you do clean it right away, keep it in the case when you're not playing, polish the guitar like every 3 weeks or every month (google dunlop guitar polish kit), polish the fretboard everytime you change the strings ( about 3-4 times a year or so). avoid exposing it to the sun. it will last yeeears ..."

So, what's "the best thing to do" [confused] (yeah, I know...), I'd really like to have precise advices or "how to" (which could also help other newbies like me),

thanks a lot

and have a good day.

yes, a damp soft cotton rag will be fine for keeping the dust and such off, you really don't need to do it that often. Especially if you are casing it when not playing. usually nothing more needed then a casual wipe down before putting it away

for cleaning products, just don't use any stuff that you'd get at the market or grocery store (like Pledge, or Behold, or stuff like that)

Gibson makes a polish that comes in a pump spray bottle, doesn't take much bottle will last a while

http://store.gibson.com/pump-polish/

A lot of people here, myself included have used the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish, this is really good and will NOT harm the finish.

http://www.virtuosopolish.com/

it is pricey but you only need a small amount, so it will last you a while.

There's also a pretty good general cleaner out there from Gerlitz, (Smudge off)

Excellent stuff for general cleaning of the guitar and can even be used on hardware.

http://proguitarshop.com/gerlitz-smudge-off.html

all of this is vailable @ Amazon.com

oh one other piece of advise, if you plan to leave your LP on a guitar stand or wall hanger for any length of time, take the time to wrap some cotton strips around the places on the stand where the guitar makes contact. many of these stands and hangers are not nitro safe

For what it is worth, I have never used "cleaning" products on any of my guitars.

A soft cotton cloth, such as from an old T shirt, that is just barely damp.

But that only was if something spilled on the guitar.

m

In reading this- it seems like you are looking for specificity. Truth is, if you case the guitar, don't subject it to any sudden extreme (temperatures, humidity, spillage of any sort) you won't have many troubles. When a guitar is cased when not in use, even changes in temperatures and humidity are slowed down somewhat by the case. Many of us have had guitars shipped to us in VERY cold weather- over a few days travel. Let the guitar, in the case, acclimate to your house / room temperature and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I would not advise polishing the fretboard every time you change strings. Fretboards of rosewood, ebony or similar boards only need a wipe down with a soft cloth. If the board appears to be getting dry, then a coating of fretboard oil (Lemon oil, etc) will be in order.

A good polish (such as Virtuoso, etc.) that does not contain silicones is good for a nitro finish. Polish it UN-often. A gloss finish does not need a lot of polish. A wipe down with a soft cotton cloth after each playing session will keep that puppy (and you) happy.

I polish my guitars once a year...maybe. Depends on ho much you play; do you play out/gig? Do you have particularly sweaty / grubby hands? Wash 'em for Pete's Sake (your hands [tongue] ) before you pick up that sweet axe.I wipe my guitar down, along with the strings, after each practice, playing or gigging session.

Fretboard oiling- on a used guitar I do it once. One time- IF it really needs it. Usually, I buy a used guitar and its got years of "finger-funkencrap" (technical term) all over it. I take off the strings, clean the board with Naptha, oil it, let the oil set a bit, and wipe it off. After that, I wipe it with a soft cloth after every playing session. NOTE- you could conceivably damage the guitar by applying oils and polished to the fretboard. IF oil or other vicious liquids get in between the fret tangs and their wooden slots it could lead to damage over time.

About 20 years ago, good friends of ours had a baby. Someone erroneously bought them cloth diapers instead of the disposables they desired. They gave the diapers to me...and I since have had a lifetime supply of "special guitar cleaning cloths". Pure cotton; if its soft enough for Baby's bottom, its soft enough for my guitars! [thumbup]

Humidity (high or low) will potentially cause you more problems than lack of cleaning over time. I have guitar playing buddie that will attest to this. I ALWAYS humidify during the heating months. I have a "Dampit" and a "Planet Waves" soundhole humidifier for my acoustics, and some "Hercules" small round humidifiers for my electrics. I use them when I travel with the guitars. In our home, my "man cave", where I keep and play my guitars, is a 10'x7' room. I bought a $50.00 Vortex humidifier and a $22.00 Hygrometer / Thermometer from Radio Shack. Accurate enough for me. The room stays between 42-48% humidity during the late fall through early spring. (I keep the door shut). Our particular home does not go below 40% during spring and summer. I never have cracked guitars or fret sprout! BONUS- if I'm coming down with a cold, I sleep in there; the added moisture helps me aching nose and sinuses!

Hope this helps. Can't be much more specific except to say that when I gigged 4-6 times per month, I did a THOROUGH wipe down of my guitars at the end of each gig. I have very acidic hand oils / sweat. I used to thread the corner of the baby diaper under the strings, and make a pass up and down the nek; wiping the strings and the board / frets.

Best wishes with that great guitar! (...don't worry so much...Gibsons are built well...)

Brian

listen, if you werent afraid to pay for a gibson, dont be afraid to pay for a proper cleaning kit!

i was gifted the dunlop 65 cleaning kit a while back. i think its a measly $20 on amazon. has everything you need and could ever need. the i still use ghs fastfret for my board because the dunlop version is not a easy to apply nor does it produce better results but the Dunlop Formula 65 Polish and Bodygloss 65 Cream of Carnauba Wax i highly recommend. the wax in particular makes your finish pop and smells amazing!!! [biggrin]

there are different packages available and you can always buy each separately...

• 2 weeks later...

I never use polish or wax on my Guitars.polishes are a mild abrasive, that's why they polish. I have just wiped mine down with a very soft, clean cloth, like a cotton baby diaper or piece of 100% cotton t-shirt, as soon as i am finished playing, more so the hardware, and just enough to take fingerprints off.

Hello.

Everything is mostly in the question.

I keep my guitar (Lp Studio 2015, here's the model ) in the case.

"The guy at the store" told me just to use a damp clothe (I hope i translated right)...

There's also the guitar care kit of Gibson, but it seems a bit expensive, and I'm not sure to use it right.

Looking for information, I've found this on a Gibson forum:

"Ramon:

it is nitrocellulose, all 2015 models have the high gloss finish. just don't splash anything on it and if you do clean it right away, keep it in the case when you're not playing, polish the guitar like every 3 weeks or every month (google dunlop guitar polish kit), polish the fretboard everytime you change the strings ( about 3-4 times a year or so). avoid exposing it to the sun. it will last yeeears ..."

So, what's "the best thing to do" [confused] (yeah, I know...), I'd really like to have precise advices or "how to" (which could also help other newbies like me),

thanks a lot

and have a good day.

I never use polish or wax on my Guitars.polishes are a mild abrasive, that's why they polish. I have just wiped mine down with a very soft, clean cloth, like a cotton baby diaper or piece of 100% cotton t-shirt, as soon as i am finished playing, more so the hardware, and just enough to take fingerprints off.

[thumbup] Yep - same here. Works for me since 1980.

Archived