Gibson Brands Forums

Fullerplast

Joseph P

What the heck is fullerplast made of? Is it a type of polyester finish? Can it be repaired? Is it sound deadening? Who's idea was it to use Fullerplast anyway, was this something Ren brought in??? Was it a hold over from Norlin days or did Norlin use Nitro finish?? Is it really a bad enough finish to nix a guitar deal??

What the heck is fullerplast made of? Is it a type of polyester finish? Can it be repaired? Is it sound deadening? Who's idea was it to use Fullerplast anyway, was this something Ren brought in??? Was it a hold over from Norlin days or did Norlin use Nitro finish?? Is it really a bad enough finish to nix a guitar deal??

From what I've read it was very difficult to repair. And the spray booth originally in "89 Montana was setup for Fullerplast..

Here is a link to some good reading until Hogeye replies..

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66845-when-did-the-first-acoustics-come-out-of-bozeman/

From what I've read it was very difficult to repair. And the spray booth originally in "89 Montana was setup for Fullerplast..

Here is a link to some good reading until Hogeye replies..

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66845-when-did-the-first-acoustics-come-out-of-bozeman/

Two months ago I bought a June, 1990-vintage J45. Didn't learn about Fullerplast until after I got it home (CL purchase). Initially freaked out about it, but after I read up on it, calmed down. The guitar sounds killer, so I don't think it's a tone-sucker. But it is impossible to repair, so keep that in mind. Mine has a few chips and scratches. Doesn't bother me any.

This era also has the "paddle-cut" neck with may or may not make a neck reset more difficult in the future. My J45 is 25 years old already and it's neck is still slightly over-set (a straight-edge clears the bridge slightly) so I'm not expecting mine will need a neck reset (in my lifetime anyway!). But you might want to read up on that if you're considering a guitar from this era.

Here is a quote from Hogeye from 2012:

It's pretty obvious. The Fullerplast has a orange peel look. Just look at the finish from a side view not straight on. You will see the dimpled look. The Fullerplast never gets a high gloss shine to it. If it's early 1990 it's Fullerplast if it's later 1990 early 1991 it's nitro. They switched to Nitro in the later part of 1990.

This makes it very close to the date of June 12, 1991. Anyone else now any more detail?

Archived