Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood & abalone

Cougar

Just fyi, I see there's a 2004 Epi Masterbilt EF500RANS with case up on ebay - solid rosewood back and sides, all ringed with abalone. Only one bidder so far at $300, but you never know how high it'll go. Could be a great deal. The last couple I've seen went for $500+. Sounds like it's in very good condition. The seller misidentifies it as a dreadnought - of course it's an OM or 000 body shape, with a 1.75" nut. I've got an EF500RAVS that is just outstanding, so I'm not in the market for the RANS (nor am I affiliated with this seller). Three days left on auction. Good luck to anyone interested!

Just fyi, I see there's a 2004 Epi Masterbilt EF500RANS with case up on ebay - solid rosewood back and sides, all ringed with abalone. Only one bidder so far at $300, but you never know how high it'll go. Could be a great deal. The last couple I've seen went for $500+. Sounds like it's in very good condition. The seller misidentifies it as a dreadnought - of course it's an OM or 000 body shape, with a 1.75" nut. I've got an EF500RAVS that is just outstanding, so I'm not in the market for the RANS (nor am I affiliated with this seller). Three days left on auction. Good luck to anyone interested!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEMF3

This is the Epi you describe? you can zoom on it. Redwood gives a gret acoustic ring

This is the Epi you describe?

Yeah, like that one. They're "no longer available at zzounds" because Epiphone stopped making these non-cutaway Masterbilts in 2010 or early 2011. Used Masterbilts are often in excellent condition, though.

Still just one bid. [smile]

Yeah, like that one. They're "no longer available at zzounds" because Epiphone stopped making these non-cutaway Masterbilts in 2010 or early 2011. Used Masterbilts are often in excellent condition, though.

Still just one bid. [smile]

Cougar, I just looked at it on Ebay - if this was auctioned here in the UK it would sell for well over $800 (£470 - £500) with no problem at all. You lot are spoilt [cursing]

ps (edit) I guess you are lying in wait behind a tree waiting waiting waiting to pounce. That's how you got your name!!

Cougar, I just looked at it on Ebay - if this was auctioned here in the UK it would sell for well over $800 (£470 - £500) with no problem at all. You lot are spoilt [cursing]

ps (edit) I guess you are lying in wait behind a tree waiting waiting waiting to pounce. That's how you got your name!!

Man I was expecting lots of abalone but rosewood works .

I also see the all to famous USED stamped on the back of the head stock .

That's a big no to me even though they say it could just mean minor repair . Not something I would buy without trying first a result of my first epi mail order failure you all know about . 😞

I also see the all to famous USED stamped on the back of the head stock .

I did not see that! Actually, I'm not certain it's a used stamp. Could be some residual glue from a sticker? The reason I question is because the label inside the sound hole is untouched. There's no new number on a piece of tape covering the old number. If it's used/refurbished, that's really something that should be disclosed in the ad, which this guy didn't do. Of course, some do neglect to mention it....

I just took another close look. Looks like an "S" there, but where's the U? Or the E and D? And there's some other "swirly" grain down the line from that "S", so I'm still saying it's "indeterminate."

I see somebody "bought it now" for $550. Even that's not bad since a hardshell case is included...

Oh shoot my bad I had the wrong model no wonder I did not see the abalone lmao

I was wondering what you were talking about, lol. Yeah, there's plenty of abalone. Too much for a natural, I think; just right for a vintage sunburst. ;)

rav212.jpg

Archived