Gibson Brands Forums

Intentional or quality control issue?

Cryo

Is this intentional? Or was it a mistake that this top with a black streak went to a semitransparent finish. I just bought this guitar from Amazon.com sight unseen. Plays great, but looks like I have a black streak on the upper bout. Any thoughts? Is Gibson losing it's reputation for quality control or has this appeared in other Les Pauls with transparent finishes?

Who do I contact in Gibson about this?

post-49617-042211200 1435522780_thumb.jpg

As straight as that line is, it looks to me like a three piece top, with a black edge on the board. I think that more than likely the guy who picked out the wood thought that the black edge would be machined or sanded out. Instead, at finish level the black edge was still there. I think it looks kinda' cool. It would be a nice line for someone to autograph the top! Anyway, if You bought it New Old Stock either learn to live with it or return it. There is no shortage of available LPJ's without a black line on the top. I don't think that it would have passed quality control it it was a model other than an LPJ or LPM. I think that they were hoping that some buyer might like it since it is a natural Mark. I agree. Send it back. It will not grow on You.

OK, here is embracing it. Black strings to go with the black line. Looking for a good strap.

Played Green Onions on it. Sounds great.

Band meet tomorrow evening. Let's see what my gang says.

post-49617-082217200 1435577904_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Normally I say wood is wood and an unusual feature is to be ignored or enjoyed but that is pretty fugly. I would return it.

Let this be a lesson, buy in person, after trying and inspecting. How anyone expects to get the right Gibson for them without trying them is beyond me. They're all so different.

Normally I say wood is wood and an unusual feature is to be ignored or enjoyed but that is pretty fugly. I would return it.

Let this be a lesson, buy in person, after trying and inspecting. How anyone expects to get the right Gibson for them without trying them is beyond me. They're all so different.

Got it for a great price. Contacted Amazon. They just made me a deal, so I am keeping it.

This will be a good beater for gigging and taking with me on the road.

Was getting this for the tone and the on guitar dB boost, rather than looks.

Few folks notice the beauty mark when you are on stage anyway.

Archived