Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup cutting out

SteveT2

The bridge pickup on my 2012 Std cuts out from time to time. When I popped the cover off I expected to see wires connected from the switch to the pots. But instead it's got more like what I would call a gate system. Toggle switch opens and closes gates. Fair enough, it works. I just have to squeeze the metal prongs a bit and it's back to playing again. I'm guessing this is not unusual. Is there a more permanent solution though ? I'm not gigging with it but if I was that could get annoying

Normally it should be as follows: The wires from the volume pot center taps are soldered to the outer legs of the toggle switch while its inner legs are interconnected and wired to the output jack's hot leg.

Common problems are contact corrosion and fatigue of the prongs. The latter can be avoided best by leaving the toggle switch in the center position when the guitar is not in use. Contact problems may also come from manufacturing due to residues of dust left. Some of my Gibsons had severe contact problems when new, and pots were affected, too. I solved them using contact cleaner.

Hope this helps.

I agree with cap.

I use electrical contact cleaner in my switches and pots about every other year.

(More often if living near the ocean and salt spray.)

Keeps them working fine, with no cut-outs, and no crackling.

My favorite brand is Deoxit DS.

B00006LVEU_img1.jpg

I will use #400 emory cloth to polish the spring-blade contacts on the switch to ensure proper connection.

With the contacts in the pressed together "on" position, take a small piece of emory cloth folded over (abrasive on both sides), and slide it between the pressed together contacts a few times. Change switch position and repeat for the other set of contacts. Now that you know the contact points are clean, smooth and polished, hit it with a little DeoxIt.

In 40 years of tinkering with Gibson guitars, I can't remember ever have to replace a pickup selector switch, but if you deem it necessary, the traditional switches used in Gibson guitars are manufactured by "Switchcraft". The proper Switchcraft brand replacement switch is about $15-$20.

Normally it should be as follows: The wires from the volume pot center taps are soldered to the outer legs of the toggle switch while its inner legs are interconnected and wired to the output jack's hot leg.

Common problems are contact corrosion and fatigue of the prongs. The latter can be avoided best by leaving the toggle switch in the center position when the guitar is not in use. Contact problems may also come from manufacturing due to residues of dust left. Some of my Gibsons had severe contact problems when new, and pots were affected, too. I solved them using contact cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Next time i pull the I'll wipe it all out while I'm in there. Why did I not think of this myself ? Because when stuff like that happens I can lose common sense pretty quick

I will use #400 emory cloth to polish the spring-blade contacts on the switch to ensure proper connection.

With the contacts in the pressed together "on" position, take a small piece of emory cloth folded over (abrasive on both sides), and slide it between the pressed together contacts a few times. Change switch position and repeat for the other set of contacts. Now that you know the contact points are clean, smooth and polished, hit it with a little DeoxIt.

In 40 years of tinkering with Gibson guitars, I can't remember ever have to replace a pickup selector switch, but if you deem it necessary, the traditional switches used in Gibson guitars are manufactured by "Switchcraft". The proper Switchcraft brand replacement switch is about $15-$20.

Thank you. I think a little cleaning and maybe a tiny bend should cure things

I agree with cap.

I use electrical contact cleaner in my switches and pots about every other year.

(More often if living near the ocean and salt spray.)

Keeps them working fine, with no cut-outs, and no crackling.

My favorite brand is Deoxit DS.

B00006LVEU_img1.jpg

Next time i pull the cover I'll give it a shot. Funny you mention beaches. I live about a half mile from the ocean but I generally keep the windows closed to keep the damp stuff out

Archived