Gibson Brands Forums

Help needed re. ID Gibson acoustic c.1935

wgc

Hello,I am trying to find out more information about my father's guitar and its value and hope someone might be able to help me.I emailed pictures to the Gibson customer care team in US and Europe and was told it was possibly made in 1935 or 1935-41 for the export market, possibly a L-00 sunburst. I have also found a picture online (and I think on the Gibson forum) of a very similar looking guitar called a Trojan for the export market .. http://truevintageguitar.com/1936-gibson-trojan/.Looking at the number - info below - I found a link that listed 136A as being from 1935 but belonging to L-1 model rather than the L-00 ... http://www.guitarhq.com/loo.htmlThe information I have on the guitar is ...HISTORY: It belonged to my father but unfortunately don't know when he bought it. He was born in 1921 in England, so he could have bought it either new or secondhand.NUMBERS: The only number I can see is inside the guitar, up below where the neck joins the body. The number looks like "136 A" printed in black, and then there is a “23” handwritten in red ink. LABEL INSIDE GUITAR: The white guitar label inside the aperture is rectangular, with “MADE IN U.S.A. BY GIBSON, INC. KALAMAZOO, MICH”. PRINTED ON BACK OF HEAD: There is also a “MADE IN THE U.S.A.” stamped into the wood on the back of the head of the guitar, but nothing else.I will attach pictures. Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.post-79465-000561900 1467472153_thumb.jpegpost-79465-062622300 1467472164_thumb.jpegpost-79465-083377500 1467472195_thumb.jpegpost-79465-085760300 1467472205_thumb.jpegpost-79465-051530100 1467472223_thumb.jpegpost-79465-037803900 1467472256_thumb.jpeg

The number looks like "136 A" printed in black, and then there is a “23” handwritten in red ink.

"A" is the letter code for 1935.

The numbers are meaningless as to year or model, and were only for internal production scheduling and tracking.

I would also agree with the assumption of being made for export, as the "Made In USA" stamp was not standard feature of Gibson guitars at the time.

A virtual twin to my '35, except for the 'Made In USA' thing.

As for value...$2500.- $4000, dependent upon a once-over by someone who can spot mechanical issues and what buyers market you're working with. The presumed all-original condition is a big plus.

"A" is the letter code for 1935.

The numbers are meaningless as to year or model, and were only for internal production scheduling and tracking.

I would also agree with the assumption of being made for export, as the "Made In USA" stamp was not standard feature of Gibson guitars at the time.

I have a 1937 Gibson uke marked "made in USA," it was sold new at an instrument shop based in Toronto. I think this stamp was only used on instruments for export.

Many thanks for all of your comments and help. I would imagine my father would have bought it in London, UK either before or after WWII and it was well looked after as he loved playing it. If anyone might know of reputable dealer(s) in the UK, that would be great to know too. Many thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi WDG, as you've discovered, this is a lovely 1936 Gibson L-1 model. "Made in USA" stickers on the interior back strip and stamps on the back of headstocks were applied to instruments that were exported and sold new.

Spann's Guide to Gibson lists factory order number 136A as a batch of L-1 guitars made in 1935.

You've inherited a lovely instrument, enjoy it in good health! And if it every comes up for sale, I'd love to have a shot at it. You can reach me at the link below.

Archived