Gibson Brands Forums

New strings, same gauge, cause fret buzz on new Sheraton II Pro

williu

Hi guys! So I bought a Sheraton II Pro a couple of days ago (I even created a post about it) and since the strings – which sounded so nice, soft and mellow acoustically, like on my Gibson Les Paul – were dirty, I changed them today.

Same gauge – 10s. One at a time, starting with the 6th low E.

Wrong move. Suddenly the three wound strings have a lot of fret buzz all over the neck, and I can't find any reason why. And the strings sound cold, not at all mellow and soft. So I thought I'd change to Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel strings, like the ones I use on my Les Paul, thinking that maybe the old ones were pure nickel. Now it's maybe a little better, but still buzzing a lot more than before.

Has anyone else had experiences with this kind of behaviour? I can't believe that one has to break in the strings for a few days before they stop buzzing. I've never had this problem on any other guitar before... From perfect to buzz just with a string change...

Did you check the neck relief? Maybe the neck bent just a tad backwards. Usually a paper-thin relief @ 6th fret when fretted or capo'd @ 1st and fretted @ 14th is enough. Same tiny increase that makes fretting tangibly harder will when decreased promote buzz. Releasing the truss-rod nut 15° or 20° (counterclockwise viewed from the peghead) might be sufficient if applicable.

New strings may tend to buzz slightly more than they do two or three days later, also when only kept tuned but unplayed. They settle mechanically and magnetically to a certain extent.

It is also a good idea to avoid any twisting of strings during stringing. String twist contributes to increased torsional vibrations and therefore buzz.

Stretching should also be exerted carefully. It is well known that in particular E1st and core wires of wound G3rd strings may break, but any wound string may suffer from excessive tension long before break. The windings are stretched apart and possibly don't contract back to a steady slope. Tiny deviations may cause buzz before harmonicity, intonation and sustain are affected audibly. It has happened to me in the past. This doesn't mean a .046" E6th from a .010" set won't work anymore as A5th in a .013" string set, but for the tension of an E6th it can be lost.

Hi guys! So I bought a Sheraton II Pro a couple of days ago (I even created a post about it) and since the strings – which sounded so nice, soft and mellow acoustically, like on my Gibson Les Paul – were dirty, I changed them today.

Same gauge – 10s. One at a time, starting with the 6th low E.

Wrong move. Suddenly the three wound strings have a lot of fret buzz all over the neck, and I can't find any reason why. And the strings sound cold, not at all mellow and soft. So I thought I'd change to Vintage Reissue Pure Nickel strings, like the ones I use on my Les Paul, thinking that maybe the old ones were pure nickel. Now it's maybe a little better, but still buzzing a lot more than before.

Has anyone else had experiences with this kind of behaviour? I can't believe that one has to break in the strings for a few days before they stop buzzing. I've never had this problem on any other guitar before... From perfect to buzz just with a string change...

The most likely scenario is the neck tension has altered. You'd have to replace the old strings with exactly the same brand to keep the tension the same.

I've replaced strings with the same gauge but different brand and had exactly the same happen. It's very easy to spot on my Strats because the floating tremolo will have a different angle to it.

A simple trussrod adjustment should do the trick but you'll need the relief, action and intonation reset to proper spec.

They shouldn't need any more than a small adjustment to have your Sheri playing nicely again.

I forgot to say that I naturally checked the relief, which is unchanged (and I know since I adjusted the truss rod the day before), and the string height in general is also unchanged.

Aside from the buzz, my biggest issue is that the old strings sounded really warm and soft, whereas the new sound cold and sharp.

Is this really a matter of which brand of strings I use? On my Gibson Les Paul, the strings sound warm and soft in the same way as they did on the Sheraton. I really can't wrap my head around this.

The only logical explanation I can come up with is that the old strings had been so worn in that their sound became soft from that... but I've never experienced such a huge difference before when changing from really old strings...

Quick update...

I guess the strings had to settle in for a few days. My new Sheraton II Pro feels and plays great again, with just as much (or little) buzz as before I changed the strings. I guess I wasn't used to a guitar needing this because the string height is much lower on than on my other guitars...

Anyway, thanks y'all!

Quick update...

I guess the strings had to settle in for a few days. My new Sheraton II Pro feels and plays great again, with just as much (or little) buzz as before I changed the strings. I guess I wasn't used to a guitar needing this because the string height is much lower on than on my other guitars...

Anyway, thanks y'all!

Good to hear,williu. I love nice low action and it shows that Sheratons and many others in the Epiphone lineup when set up well, are some of the best playing instruments. Often playing as well if not better than many much higher priced offerings.

It definitely appears that your Sheri is one of those, a setup at the low side of specs with fine tolerances that require settling, not all guitars can be set this tight, congrats! [thumbup]

Archived