Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stone Presents: Trigger

Fullmental Alpinist

I think that the fact he moved from dread Mart and Guild to a gut-string guitar with the music he's playing, is just as remarkable as that battle and party marked top.

Btw. the hole must be one of the most famous pieces of nothing on the entire planet.

All in all a significant artefact - may it run long.

I wonder which is more famous, the hole in Willie's guitar or the hole in this guitar:

Ha ha, , , if I'm not too far off this is Clarence White's old Mart D-28/35 in the hands of just as magnificent T. Rice.

This is actually another of this world's famous acoustic guitars and both Santa Cruz and Martin have made replicas of the model.

The one I tried sounded real good, , , definitely prefer this spade to Nelsons.

The 1935 dread in 2012 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbEZNl-bMw4

Ha ha, , , if I'm not too far off this is Clarence White's old Mart D-28/35 in the hands of just as magnificent T. Rice.

Didn't think I'd be able to sneak that past you, E-minor7....

Guitarist/builder Wayne Henderson said he had this guitar in his shop for a refret. He searched it inside and out and couldn't find anything particularly outstanding about it. But he did notice that every guitar Tony Rice picked up sounded magical.

Guitarist/builder Wayne Henderson said he had this guitar in his shop for a refret. He searched it inside and out and couldn't find anything particularly outstanding about it. But he did notice that every guitar Tony Rice picked up sounded magical.

As a matter of fact it would be good to take a look inside this oldie. T.R. tells it was severely damaged under the 93 flood, which sounds more than unpleasant.

Wonder what parts were fixed after that catastrophe - if braces, I guess a superb job was done to replace them.

All in all I'm sure the late Snuffy Smith did his absolutely best to bring the guitar back on land. That - plus the extra gaping nothing - is what we hear now.

The magic is in the hands as much as it's in the guitar, and Tony Rice is pure magic.

Yes, have to add Rice's magic touch - Monel magic one presume.

As a matter of fact it would be good to take a look inside this oldie. T.R. tells it was severely damaged under the 93 flood, which sounds more than unpleasant.

Wonder what parts were fixed after that catastrophe - if braces, I guess a superb job was done to replace them.

All in all I'm sure the late Snuffy Smith did his absolutely best to bring the guitar back on land. That - plus the extra gaping nothing - is what we hear now.

Many vintage collectors would turn up their noses at that modified, repaired, and much-used D-28. Except for the Clarence White, Tony rice connection. Likewise, if Trigger were not Willie's axe, I reckon most people would pass it by in favor of a less road-worn example.

When I bought my seriously worn old J-45, 50 years ago this month, I used to speculate on its history. How did a guitar only 16-18 years old at the time get so worn, so fast? Judging from the fret and board wear in the first position, plus the hole in the side for a pickup jack, I figured the old girl had spent her life as the rhythm guitar in a honky-tonk band in Mississippi, where I got her.

Don't you wish vintage guitars could tell those tales?

When I bought my seriously worn old J-45, 50 years ago this month, I used to speculate on its history. How did a guitar only 16-18 years old at the time get so worn, so fast? Judging from the fret and board wear in the first position, plus the hole in the side for a pickup jack, I figured the old girl had spent her life as the rhythm guitar in a honky-tonk band in Mississippi, where I got her.

Congrats on the 50th anniversary Nick. (And BTW welcome back. I hope you had your customary fall cruise this year.)

I've got to admit that each weekend when I prowl my favorite thrift store I keep hoping to find a battered old J-45.

Don't you wish vintage guitars could tell those tales?

Too bad they can't. But I'd gladly listen to some of the folks here tell us the history of their favorite guitars. Anyone up to it?

This is my old beater.

Unlike the 2 other guitars in this thread it is not a Martin. It's a D-28 copy, yes, but an Ibanez from the late 70's.

Story is as follows :

Around 1980 me and some friends were busking in the center of this big city each weekend during summer. It went on several years and we played CSN&Y, Dylan, Cohen, Fabs, Donovan, Simon & Garfunkel and a few homegrown things.

Sometimes we were 3-4-5 people, other times only 2 and once in a while just me.

One night when me and good pal Ed were performing in a gate to the pedestrian-street where the slightly reverbed sound was ideal, a drama unfolded.

During a break where we sat down on the granite stairs to have a cigarette, 4 rough denim-guys approached us and created a half-moon around us.

Now that evening I had taken a chance a brought my brand new square Norlin Gibson J-50 De Luxe. Alright. To prevent it from getting scratches, I still sat with it in lap while Ed had placed his Yamaha against a jewel-shop window as he took a smoke. Though the guy right behind me stood very close, I quietly played on as if nothing particular was goin' on. Until , , , the jerk kicked the guitar out of my hands hitting quite hard in the lower bout. Next thing I saw was the Gibson flying in midair straight towards Ed, , , who then by extraordinary luck and coincidence grabbed the thing after a 2-3 meters flight – totally unharmed. Flabbergasting, scary, incredible , , , yet we both managed to keep stone cold – let's say paralyzed. Then a turn. Witnessing this almost otherworldly reaction to their power-play and provocation, the gang simply evaporated as silent as they came.

And a few minutes later Ed and I were ready for the next set.

Never again did I bring the square 50 to night pavements, but the dread below was purchased as replacement the coming week. It was originally blonde, but soon got a heavy sanding as I wanted a raw brown guitar for busking. However the sanding never got even through to the spruce,which only showed after the sponge-dyeing began. Therefor the spotted, rather wild surface. The words are jet-black ink and pencil. The arrow is from Hamburg, Germany.

The guitar served me well over the years. Toured the streets of Paris and Avignon, worked as my jammer and writing tool for ages, was used in videos and finally got its reward by ending on the cover of a rock magazine. Still here for sure – but battered, worn and tired. More than love, I really respect this squire. So brave and tough it's been.

If it has opened up, , , oh sure, , , indeed

Approx 1980 ~ Ol%20Street%201.jpgshot not long ago Ol%20Street%202.jpg

Archived