Gibson Brands Forums

B-25 finish checking

Jaycat

Good morning everyone. I took possession of a 1965 B-25 on Saturday. Waited 12 hours to open the box, then another 12 hrs. before opening the case (I am outside of Boston, temps in the 30s, 20s at night).

Upon opening, I discovered extensive finish checking to the back and sides only. Nothing on top.

So my question is: are different woods more or less susceptible to finish checking? I believe the top is spruce, back and sides mahogany.

Thanks!

You've (kinda') hit the nail on the head, though the top may have been reinforced with an overspray job at some point. As well, the back and/or sides may have been re-coated. Also, the seller may have subjected it to the sudden climate change before shipping. It just took a little while to start checking.

Had you seen the finish before you received it? Was the checking not evident in the pre-sale photos? From where did it ship? Extreme north or south?

To continue the interrogative - how are sound and playability? Any checking on the neck and/or headstock?

It came from Elderly Instruments in Michigan. No checking apparent on photos but I think it's sometimes hard to capture in a photo? I am going to check in with them.

No checking on neck or headstock. Sound is ok, playability very good.

• 2 years later...

Archived