Gibson Brands Forums

Authenticity experts...Is this Gibson J-45 a FAKE?!!!!

stinky

Has Gibson EVER used three screws for the truss rod cover? I found three other pictures on the internet showing mid 70's j-45s with three screws. The serial number and labels all look good, but the three screws has me doubting its authenticity, especially given the condition of the guitar.

Please assist! Thanks so much.

spanky

Edit: Yep, ... it's real.

I've seen other 70s Gibsons with three screw covers but not many. I don't think Gibson used three screw covers at any other time. Many of the new Chinese fakes have three screw covers and that's a dead giveaway.

It's possible (on any guitar) the truss rod cover could have been replaced. Some people don't care about originality.

During 1975 Gibson did produce guitars with a serial number that started with A-B-C-D-E-or F, followed by 6 numbers.

On the back of the headstock, under the serial #, It should be stamped with Made In

U S A . Wheres the "in"?

The Label looks correct, the square sholders are period correct. the tuners appear correct, the Headstock and downward pointing bridge appear correct.

The orginal receipt's price appears about correct.

The real test would have been a picture of the tops braceing. It should have had the infamous "double X" pattern.

As the auction is over, I guess that question is now mute.

I am used to top dips, but I have never seen one of these Deluxes with such poor binding.

Dale.

but I have never seen one of these Deluxes with such poor binding.

I have. The all-blonde 70s Gospels had the same binding and when they rotted, the color would leach into the surrounding wood. Reminded me a lot of watching Tammy Faye Bakker cry.

but I have never seen one of these Deluxes with such poor binding.

I have. The all-blonde 70s Gospels had the same binding and when they rotted' date=' the color would leach into the surrounding wood. Reminded me a lot of watching Tammy Faye Bakker cry.[/quote']

Too funny, Scott! You certainly can turn a phrase...... Now I'll have that disturbing imagery in my mind when I see '70s Gibsons.

Thanks.;)

Fred

This is the first time in my 47 years I've actually paid attention to the snowfall. We've gotten 158 inches so far and the record is 181. My golden retriever can't use his kennel anymore because he can walk right over the 6' fence. Hopefully the snowblower will last another month.

But as you can see, I've been busy inside:

0302a.jpg

0302b.jpg

0302c.jpg

Archived