Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Headstock logos

gibboman

The golden logo is painted and the "silver" logo is not silver, it's mother of pearl-like plastic (it's inlaid in the headstock).

The golden logo goes for cheaper models (studio, special, and their variations), the plastic MOP sustitute logo goes for everything else USA, and real MOP (am I right?) goes for Gibson Custom Shop stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, the inlayed logos are all mother of pearl. GibsonUSA has them set into fiber headstock overlays, whereas the Custom Shop models currently have the pearl inlay into a smaller surrounding area of epoxy or fiber, and that is set into a piece of Holly veneer. Sometimes you see a faint outline in the lacquer where the black filler meets the wood veneer around it on the Historic models.

A guild headstock logo, now that's mother of toilet seat.

Another difference you may be noticing is that some guitars have "antique" finishes where they add a little amber or yellow color to the lacquer. The Classic Custom is an example. The headstock logo on those looks amber or even gold because the lacquer over it is not as clear.

I'm not sure of what they can get away with in marketing lingo, but when you see "pearloid" it's acrylic (like the fretboard markers have always been) and "mother of pearl" denotes the real natural shell material.

Thanks for the replies.

I know the gold paint/transfer ones as I have them on my juniors and the melodymaker, however the one on my LP is more like this

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Now I know it's not a 50th I've got, but it's the only headstock on the gibson site I could find that looked like it.

I think it might be the "antique" look that was mentioned above. It is strange though as I also remember my ES335 having a silver logo, but my 1980 custom is golden. Mind you that could just be the age of it.

Thanks for the replies.

I know the gold paint/transfer ones as I have them on my juniors and the melodymaker' date=' however the one on my LP is more like this

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Now I know it's not a 50th I've got, but it's the only headstock on the gibson site I could find that looked like it.

I think it might be the "antique" look that was mentioned above. It is strange though as I also remember my ES335 having a silver logo, but my 1980 custom is golden. Mind you that could just be the age of it.

[/quote']Yes, the "golden" color of the HS inlay IS to simulate age/patina.

The reason WHY the older/vintage HS inlays are golden is because, as lacquer ages, it actually turns a dark amber color, due to it's decomp process, but on the new LPs the inlay itself is dyed yellow (as are most of the fretboard inlays), or they use gold MOP (yes there is such a thing).

Yes' date=' the "golden" color of the HS inlay IS to simulate age/patina.

The reason WHY the older/vintage HS inlays are golden is because, as lacquer ages, it actually turns a dark amber color, due to it's decomp process, but on the new LPs the inlay itself is dyed yellow (as are most of the fretboard inlays), or they use gold MOP (yes there is such a thing).

[/quote']

Thanks Rockstar. So is there any reason for some to be 'aged' and some to be left silver? Is it the finish on the guitar, IE a burst with a cherry back etc? My friends gold top is a lighter back and silver logo.

Thanks Rockstar. So is there any reason for some to be 'aged' and some to be left silver? Is it the finish on the guitar' date=' IE a burst with a cherry back etc? My friends gold top is a lighter back and silver logo.

[/quote']The ONLY LPs with the aged HS/Fretboard inlays are some of the RIs, and the Classics, but it's basically for effect, and the inlay itself (not the finish) is actually yellow/gold colored. The standard (white, not silver) inlays are for the regular, mass-produced LPs. It really doesn't depend on the finish though.

The ONLY LPs with the aged HS/Fretboard inlays are some of the RIs' date=' and the Classics, but it's basically for effect, and the inlay itself (not the finish) is actually yellow/gold colored. The standard (white, not silver) inlays are for the regular, mass-produced LPs. It really doesn't depend on the finish though.

[/quote']

Thanks for the info. However, now I am more confused. My LP is not a RI nor a Classic. It's hard to see in this picture but it defo golden and a standard. It's no big deal, but I was just wondering why some were gold or 'white'

IMG_0370.jpg

• 1 month later...

So that's the headstock of your '02 Std? It looks like they sprayed yellow-tinted clear. Don't know why on a reuglar Standard, though. I've never heard of Gibson using gold mother or pearl. Whether it's a 50-year-old Gibson with a severely ambered top coat or a Historic Collection LP with tinted lacquer, once the clear peels off the shell inlay is always silver as it does not get sun-tanned.

That's totally new to me. Can you post a pic of a raw headstock veneer (either holly or bakelite) before lacquer is applied? Or direct me to an article in which the use of gold MOP is confirmed? I'm ready to learn a new thing every day.
I can't find any specific articles about specific details, but I can tell you that, based on the depth of the color, that IS gold MOP. They're mostly use on RIs or Historics to simulate age, but I've seen a few Standards with them as well.

So that's the headstock of your '02 Std? It looks like they sprayed yellow-tinted clear. Don't know why on a reuglar Standard' date=' though. I've never heard of Gibson using gold mother or pearl. Whether it's a 50-year-old Gibson with a severely ambered top coat or a Historic Collection LP with tinted lacquer, once the clear peels off the shell inlay is always silver as it does not get sun-tanned. [/color']

Yes that is a picture of my 2002 LP std. I was talking to a good friend of mine today, and it seems that his 2002 cheery burst also has the gold coloured logo. Strange.......

Maybe they ran out of the normal 'silver/white' MOP at that time. The fret makers are the normal colour.

cheers

Archived