Gibson Brands Forums

looking at anew guitar

musiciankid_012

Hey I found an acoustic/electric that I like could you tell me what you think about this choice

Its an Epiphone EJ-160E John Lennon cost is about 400$ the description reads:The Epiphone EJ-160E John Lennon Acoustic-Electric is a limited-edition signature model of the guitar John Lennon used to change the face of rock. From warm, natural-sounding acoustic tones to high-output acoustic-electric punches, this guitar delivers rich, vintage sounds at any level. Features a spruce top, mahogany back and sides, single-coil pickup at the neck, and volume and tone controls. Comes in vintage cherry sunburst finish. It also has a lifetime warranty thats always nicelink to musicians friend showing the guitar

Happy Birthday!

It must be nice to have an uncle so generous and encouraging. He must know it's so much easier to learn when you have a good guitar to play. The EJ160E plays easily, with nice low action (string height). It's a pretty good sounding guitar, too. And since it's both acoustic and electric, you'd have an instrument that would give you some versatility, and let you have fun playing music that's meant to amlplified, like rock. It's also great looking (I think), with tose cool fretboard inlays.

Now, the EJ160 is a very good value, since it's both an acoustic guitar and a kind of electric guitar. But, since it's designed to be both for under $500, it's not the best acoustic-only guitar you can get for around that price, if that's what you want. If you want a terrific acoustic, look at the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M ,which is about $450. It's acoustic tone far surpasses the EJ160's (though no one will tell you the EJ160 sounds bad).

Another choice is the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500ME, which sells for about $550. It has pick up, so you can play it amplified, like the EJ160. The difference is that the AJ500ME's pick up is made to reproduce the acoustic sound of the guitar more accurately than the pick up on the EJ160. The EJ160's pick up is meant to provide a more biting, electric sound. Not the kind of electric guitar sound you think of when you imagine someone playing a searing lead, but brassier than an acoustic being strummed hard. So, the AJ500ME's pick up amplifies its sound; the EJ160's pick up amplifies and CHANGES its sound (not in unpleasant way, though).

By the way, I have an EJ160E, a Masterbilt AJ500M, and a Gibson J160E, so I'm basing my opinion on my own experience with each.

If you go over to the Epiphone forum, you can search for threads about each of these models. That may help you with your decision. I bet you'll find some YouTube videos of people playing, reviewing, and demonstrating these. they might be a help to you, too. There's also a site called Harmony Central that contains many user reviews.

Good luck choosing, and playing, your new guitar.

Red 333

+1 On what Red said. I'll aslo add you may want to ask the shop you buy your guitar at if they will go over it (inspect the set-up) and adjust it as needed to make sure the action isn't too high but not too low that you get buzzing on any of the strings up and down the neck.

Congrats and Happy Birthday! Sounds like you got a really cool Uncle!

Happy B-DAY, really nice offer from your uncle. All great advice and comments above . Make sure that the EJ160 is the model with the solid spruce top, I think it is still available in the laminate top. Thats a nice playing and killer looking guitar , I think your gonna dig it

I also have a Epiphone 160-E and have been very pleased with it. I found it to be an excellent guitar for the price, but I'm a firm believer that that is true of the entire Epiphone line. I should admit I am a Beatles fan, therefore it did have some additional allure. In fact, in my case I liked it so much I purchased Gibson J160-E Peace model. So be careful................

BTW, Happy Birthday!

I also have a Epiphone 160-E and have been very pleased with it. I found it to be an excellent guitar for the price' date=' but I'm a firm believer that that is true of the entire Epiphone line. I should admit I am a Beatles fan, therefore it did have some additional allure. In fact, in my case I liked it so much I purchased Gibson J160-E Peace model. So be careful................

BTW, Happy Birthday![/quote']

How would you describe the sound of the Peace model?

How would you describe the sound of the Peace model?

If your looking for that classic Beatles sound, it's the closed you'll every come in channeling John or George.

It is the finest acoustic guitar I have ever played, it brings me great joy!

Archived