Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie Advice Needed, New Studio Faded vs. 1990 Studio

kngelv

I am taking my first guitar lesson next week. I was planning on buying a new Studio Faded because I like Gibsons and wanted an American-made guitar but then a friend of mine mentioned he had a 1990 Studio. The 1990 is completely stock except that he changed the tuning heads to some Schallers. It is black, has a few nicks and the finish on the bottom is worn where it reacted with a rubber stand. The main differences are the 1990 is a solid-body mahogany with a maple top and an ebony fingerboard. The Faded is chambered mahogany no maple top and a rosewood fingerboard. What are your thoughts for someone just starting out. I'd be paying $400 for the 1990 and $800 for the Faded. Thanks.

James

If I was you, I would go for your friends Studio. If its in relatively good conditions and it feels nice in your hands, I think its a no brainier

At the end of the day, when you have had some time playing, you can always sell it if you decide you would like something new. If you sold your new faded, you would most probably get $500, but when you sell the second hand Studio, you should get all your $400 + back.

Quick questions:

Dose your friend like you?

When he plays it, do you like the sound?

If the anser to any of the above is NO, then go for the new Faded [cool]

Hi, while I have a AW Studio and love it, I'm going to risk getting flamed and suggest something other that a LP for a noob learning guitar. A used Strat or Ric may be better guitars to learn on, due to to their fast and thinner neck constructions and lighter overall weights.

In teaching guitar Ive noticed that noobs that start on LPs (or their Epi equivs) struggle and become discouraged easier, while those that have Strats (even cheap Mexican ones) or Rickies (despite higher costs) progress better because fretting-hand wise they are more forgiving instruments, ergo less discouragment, better progression, and more enjoyment. Some of the thinner-necked Korean PRS's are quite good as well.

Your money is your money, but IMO LPs and other Gibbys are better suited to more experienced players than someone just starting out. Ive been playing Strats and Rics for 3 decades, and when I picked up my first LP 10 years ago it took my left hand a few months to get used to the fatter neck and larger frets, and my back couldnt get used to the much heavier weight. But MAN the tone!!!

Another consideration: Strats and Rics are more natural sit-and-play guitars, while LPs really are not.

I therefore stand with flame suit on [bored] Plz be gentle, for I'm a fellow Gibby-head like you guys. :) JB

PS $400 for the 90 Studio is a very good deal, can't lose on that, and that's most important when starting out. Good luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice. I have the 1990 Studio. As was stated earlier I can't lose monetarily and it makes sense considering how new I am to this. I have my first lesson on thursday. I picked up a Fender Super Champ XD for an amp. I know the Fender guitars are lighter and do feel a bit more comfortable but I just like the tone on the Gibson. Thanks again.

James

Archived