Gibson Brands Forums

Hot rodding Les paul Jr?

leps

Yep. The GFS keystones I used on a similar SG Junior mod. They fit in perfect' date=' in fact you can even use one of the existing holes on each tuner due to the the slanted screw holes on the GFS tuners.

[img']http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-50206111187217_1986_8911453[/img]

So, after you remove those crappy stock ones which each have 2 screws you will only have one hole exposed from each.

Mean 90's are P90ish in sound with a warmer growl and bottom end. I love those PUPS. Used them on my mod too.

I was thinking of just investing in a Jr. Start off cheap and just put real nice pickups' date=' tuners, and maybe even a tremolo. Any suggestions?[/quote']

I'm not sure they are putting grovers on these, so that's where I'd start.

I prefer a solid bone nut, and these have the black ones.

The jr. has one pup, so I'd go with a humbuck that can be split to single coil.

Add a push pull on the tone control, pull it out for single coil, in for humbuck.

I'd choose Sprague Mallory Sozo caps.. although a lot of people believe that 'name brand' caps are really not going to sound a lot better, if at all, than typical decent radio shack types. Just don't get the little round brown ones.

(avoiding tech speak there. .*s*)

I'd add a cap on the vol. control, ala telecaster IF you want the volume to drop but the treble to stay the same.

When you pull the vol. back without the tele style cap, the treble will decrease.. some people, like me, want the tone control for that, not the volume control.

CTS or Alpha pots, 500k is typical for humbucks, 250 for single coils. Gibson sometimes used 300K pots, which might be good if you have single/dual coil switching option.

As cheap as pots are.. get a 300K and see if you like it better. 500K for tone will do fine.

You could also use a push pull on the tone control.. to switch between a cap suitable for a humbuck, or single coil.

Nice set of dunlop straplocks would be good, at least I like 'em.

I have a small hobby guitar shop and sell all this stuff in different brands so.. you can email me if you want. I give good price/shipping compared to others.

(not an advertisement, I don't care.. just get what you like and don't get ripped off.)

I own a couple of epis, and many others, and one of the easiest things I did to my LP Studio was fret level crown and polish. This guitar played really nice as soon as it was adjusted. But it plays as good as anything right now after the very minor level crown and polish.

I am currently using Kent Armstrong P90s in both my epis. I love those pups, period. But I also like the KA 12 pole piece humbuck. For one thing, you can choose which side you want for the single coil.. farther or nearer to the bridge.. and you can really adjust string to string balance with dual rows of pole pieces.

If you want a really hot output humbucker, choose another. But for me, not being a strictly metal guy, I find the KA works best. vintage jazz rock and blues tones ..and a lot of country clean with a pull on the switch.

cosmetically I think the jr.s use a single ply pickguard. Now.. this is ok because without any binding on the body a plain edged (same color as top) guard looks better. (to me.. I tried both.. friends agree)

I put a gibson les paul guard on mine, multi ply, then blacked the edges because it looked better that way.

But, I'm still glad because it's less prone to warping, fits nice and had a better top finish on the plastic than epis single ply.

The end result with be great tuning stability, *I prefer grover locking tuners, even on a non trem guitar, the quick string changes alone are worth a few extra bucks*, the bone nut would help tone volume and sustain.. done right, it helps tuning, too.

You'd have a lot of sound variation, nothing expensive or complex about the wiring, all solid and stable.

And it would play great and look custom doing it.

knobs.. I nearly forgot. I put amber on my sunburst.. looks much better than the black ones.

the jr. uses open coils, but you can use sheilded, black or chrome most likely.. which would help the single coil stay noiseless.

have fun!

Archived